Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Armageddon
Level 7

Re: Sound

Jump to solution

File a complaint with the FCC. When they get millions of the complaints; they may act on them but until then we have to put up with it.

0 Kudos
Jsizemore
Level 8

Jump to solution

The FCC only handles what's broadcast. This problem is with the Roku device as it is not a problem with Hulu on my Xbox or my Amazon fire Stick. The FCC cannot handle a complaint against the device itself because that is not currently regulated. Which is why they continue to not respond to the problem. Because they legally do not have to. If the problem was coming from Hulu, it would be across all devices. And it would be regulated by the FCC. But because this is the hard-wired programming within the Roku device, not a broadcasting service, according to the FCC, there are currently no regulations regarding individual devices, only the broadcast systems.

Armageddon
Level 7

Jump to solution

As you put it. The device is not currently regulated but as with the numerous broadcast complaints submitted which lead to a new regulation. You can make a complaint;  the question is how many do they need to create a new regulation. I have always wondered why a company will do things that will ultimately anger customers. I have a mute button and I use it allot.

0 Kudos
Jsizemore
Level 8

Jump to solution

The information that I was given when I contacted the FCC as directed by this forum was that I should make a complaint with the better Business bureau. They said that their jurisdiction covers broadcasts not the devices they are broadcast on. If the problem is not a service (like Hulu, or Netflix, or a TV station), that it is outside their jurisdiction so no amount of complaining to them about this problem is going to get any results. According to the FCC the problem is not a broadcast but a device issue. I tried to screenshot the response for you, But I got an error that said "your service or application will not allow this action". They were very clear that this issue is with the Roku device which is not considered a streaming service. The information that I provided them did include that I don't have this problem with the commercials while streaming on Hulu via my Xbox or via Amazon fire stick. So unless you have a way of proving that the problem is a streaming service specifically then you have no grounds for a complaint. They did say that they had several people attempting to make this complaint but they are encouraging people to direct those complaints to the better Business bureau. As this is not a broadcast issue but a system issue, according to the FCC

0 Kudos
Armageddon
Level 7

Jump to solution

I understand what you are saying.  Rather than calling them; I would just fill put the form on their website anyway. I know they might and probably will reply with what you say.  But complaints have a way to change laws and that is what is needed.

0 Kudos
Jsizemore
Level 8

Jump to solution

Quite literally, they denied my complaint. That was the response in the email. So filing a complaint will just get you a denial letter like I got. 🤷🤦

0 Kudos
Vnaber
Level 8

Jump to solution

The Roku channel is the worst for this.  The commercials play more than twice the volume of the show.  My Roku tv doesn’t have the sound options they mentioned.  No number to call for help.  Tried chat but after an hour they dropped off and reset me back to the bottom of the queue.  Not customer friendly at all.  You cannot change other channels but how about the Roku channel that is under your name?

0 Kudos
grishchef
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same thing on my tv. So annoying. Can’t get an answer to FIX PROBLEM

0 Kudos
clayboy
Level 7

Re: Ridiculous volume issues.

Jump to solution

When connected to Dish cable all volumes are low.  If I go to Netflix though Dish the volume is high.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Ridiculous volume issues.

Jump to solution

Different volume levels between different devices (your Dish receiver and your Roku player) is not unexpected, but there's nothing that can be done about it. Different hardware might have different levels, instead of following a standard reference level. There's nothing that says they have to, so they don't.

But I did see that you mentioned accessing Netflix via your Dish receiver. Again, there's no law or requirement for different apps within a device to have the same output levels. Yes, it would be nice if everyone followed standards. But it's not not a requirement it seldom happens. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos