Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Sound

Jump to solution

@oiu789 wrote:

Roku should take the lead on this. Do you think that every one of the users contact al of the channels that are not following the law. What a waste of man hours. Roku is the one streaming the channels can they put a filter on the audio? So it does not change. 

I agree, quiet TV show loud TV ads is old as late night TV fro over 40 years ago. With all the new technology it should be a way easy fix

0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: Ridiculous volume issues.

Jump to solution

This only happens for me with Hulu on my Roku Tv.  When I watch the same programs on Hulu on my Samsung Tv, the commercials are at a normal volume.  I have tried the volume leveling and it does nothing.  I use Hulu quite a bit and this issue will unfortunately keep me from buying another Roku product.  

Level 21

Jump to solution

@Cimmee wrote:

This only happens for me with Hulu on my Roku Tv.  When I watch the same programs on Hulu on my Samsung Tv, the commercials are at a normal volume.  I have tried the volume leveling and it does nothing.  I use Hulu quite a bit and this issue will unfortunately keep me from buying another Roku product.  

Roku has nothing to do with it. It's the Hulu channel that is controlling that, and Roku has no control over what happens within a 3rd party channel.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have never had that issue with Hulu on my other devices (Samsung Tv, Apple TV, computer, iPad, etc).  It only happens when I use my Roku tv.  If it was an issue with Hulu, wouldn’t it happen across all devices?  

0 Kudos
Level 18

Jump to solution

Probably a Mental thing for people who dont want commercials on at all.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Cimmee wrote:

I have never had that issue with Hulu on my other devices (Samsung Tv, Apple TV, computer, iPad, etc).  It only happens when I use my Roku tv.  If it was an issue with Hulu, wouldn’t it happen across all devices? 

You can't compare the same app on different devices. They may have developed them to look the same across platforms, but they're completely different software. Also, the major streaming providers use different servers for different platforms, so it's not the same media streaming from the same servers. No telling what might be different between the two server sites. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

I do appreciate you explaining why the app may not work, however, I feel Roku should still be somewhat responsible for handling the quality of the featured apps on their devices.  This isn’t a random app the user adds.  This is an app they have installed an individual start up button on their remote for.  Therefore, the app should be useable.  With the volume difference in the commercials and the programming, it’s not useable, or at least not enjoyable when using.  I believe if a featured app has bugs that make it unusable on a device, it would in turn hurt the sales of a product....at least for people who would like to use that app.  In the end, Hulu, regardless of who’s fault it is, does not work properly on the Roku Tv.  Therefore, because I use Hulu frequently, I would not buy another Roku product nor recommend it to someone who uses Hulu.  

Level 7

Jump to solution

Tanner, we have two Ruku TV's and one Sony TV without Roku. Both the Roku tc's have this sound issue (the show itself is super quiet so we need to turn it up loader than other forces and the commercials then are very load. When watching the same programming on our Sony tv there are no issues. Please share your thought on why this would be the case if it is all due to the providers control.

thanks

Jeff

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@JH4 wrote:

Tanner, we have two Roku TV's and one Sony TV without Roku. Both the Roku TVs have this sound issue (the show itself is super quiet so we need to turn it up louder than other forces and the commercials then are very loud. When watching the same programming on our Sony tv there are no issues. Please share your thought on why this would be the case if it is all due to the providers control.

thanks

Jeff

I don't believe Tanner works for Roku any longer. I haven't seen him post in a very long time. 

In many cases, a provider, such as Prime or Netflix, have completely different developers, perhaps even different sub-contractors entirely, working on their apps for different platforms. They strive to make the user interface as identical as possible, but the coding underneath is completely different for Android, Roku, or other platforms. Also, the larger providers (you didn't state which channel was doing this) usually stream to different platforms from completely different server locations. So your Sony TV is getting the stream from one location, while the Rokus are getting them from somewhere else. And the ads very likely come from a different source all together. The developers for the Roku channel might not have attempted to control the sound levels of the ad streams as well as the developers for the Sony app. Just a strong possibility. I can't say for certain, as I'm not in any way involved with any of this type of work.

Dan
Level 7

Re: Volume louder on commercials

Jump to solution

I have a Roku device on my Samsung TV and do not have volume issues with the commercials.  The issue only occurs on the physical Roku televisions.

0 Kudos