Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drumhobo
Level 8

Re: Volume louder on commercials

Jump to solution

I've posted this numerous times their solution doesn't work they say that when you're playing the show press the star key you can go to volumes and switch it to what's called leveling but on mine under volume it only gives you loud medium or soft and it doesn't help with the commercials so it's ridiculous I have to shut the volume off through the commercials because it's so ridiculously loud

Nash1960
Level 7

Jump to solution

Again, go to settings. Then leveling. It worked for me

0 Kudos
Imemine
Level 11

Jump to solution

I only have this problem on the Roku channel where the commercials go super loud. But when I put on The voice leveling then all the voices go out of sync with the TV show. They need to fix that it's roku's problem it's not other channels I don't have it on peacock or any other channel that I stream. It's only on the Roku channel.

Imemine
Level 11

Re: Sound

Jump to solution

I have the same problem and I only have it on Roku channel. But when I use the sound leveling it makes all the voices go out of sync with the video. They need to fix this because it's driving me nuts I watch all my shows through my Roku because I like it better than my cable box. But the commercials are outrageously loud and I only get this problem on the Roku channel

Imemine
Level 11

Re: Ridiculous volume issues.

Jump to solution

I've read several posts that say it's the channels problem not Roku but I'm watching the Roku channel. And on the Roku channel when it goes to certain commercials the volume goes up 50% when you put the volume leveling on The voice sync goes out meaning that their voices aren't synced with their mouth movements. Why not just take the leveling off completely since it doesn't work. You don't have a mute button on your remote control so there's no way to mute commercials without using two remotes. When I go into sound leveling and try to quiet the commercials then the voice sync goes off again. This is the most useless feature on your devices. Right now I'm watching crossing Jordan and that's through your channel. It's the only channel it happens on and I watch all my TV through my Roku because I don't like using my cable box. You have to do something about the sound leveling. When we use it the voice sync goes out when we turn it off the commercials are way out of control. It only happens on the Roku channel Thank you.

BtownG1969
Level 7

Who ever handles your Ad inserts need to be fired immediately, they are incompetents'

Jump to solution

Who ever handles your Ad inserts need to be fired immediately, they are incompetents'. There are several Technical issues, Some of the ad volumes are 12-15 Db louder than the show I am watching. Just to give reference in broadcast audio 2 Db is a doubling of amplitude A.k.A. volume so a 12-15 Db increase without warning is just flat offensive. In broadcast audio there is a simple process to avoid this called normalizing the amplitude. I realize the Roku service is "free" and therefore must be ad driven. However the number of ad inserts is out of control. I mostly watch the show 24 which has very clearly delineated commercial breaks from the original network broadcasts. I was watching today and I counted 2 of roku's  ad inserts before the first "native" commercial break and 1 insert during that break also. So 3 uncomfortably loud ad inserts in the time span from the beginning of the broad cast to the first commercial break. Most television shows that were originally broadcast on a network have commercial breaks built in at predefined time intervals. Most of these will take place at the natural end of a scene. Not on Roku. they jut rip you out of the action at the worst possible times. I now know why I hadn't used Roku before January when I was given a Roku enabled television for Christmas. If I had paid for this B.S. I would cancel as soon as possible. I hope there is someone from Roku who monitors these forums. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Who ever handles your Ad inserts need to be fired immediately, they are incompetents'

Jump to solution

Your data is inaccurate. 3 dB is a doubling of power, not 2. And 3 dB is the minimum level change to even detect something is louder. Doubling the power is not the same as doubling the volume level. A 12-15 dB change in audio level is certainly noticeable, and might very well be objectionable, depending on what the sound actually is. 

I'm not disagreeing that whomever is processing the commercials is doing a terrible job at signal leveling. I might also mention that Roku only controls the ads that are shown on The Roku Channel. If you're watching something else with ads, such as YouTube, or one of many ad supported channels, then Roku themselves have no control over the volume levels of the content, ads or otherwise. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Strega
Level 15

Re: Who ever handles your Ad inserts need to be fired immediately, they are incompetents'

Jump to solution

I just wanted to add that there are ~4000 other channels available on Roku, so if you don't like one, try another.  The major networks have gotten used to two streams of income - one from ads, and another from fees that they get from cable and satellite companies.  (Which, of course, drives up cable prices and drives people to try streaming.) So streaming companies seem to have several options if they want to show those shows - stuff even more commercials in, or charge some money and show a smaller amount of commercials or charge more money and not show any.  Some channels on Roku have multiple tiers depending on willingness to pay vs willingness to have commercials.

Every once in awhile I find some channel that has no obvious business model, but they tend to have some pretty obscure (cheap) content.

0 Kudos