Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GiaGia1234
Level 7

Volume louder on commercials

Jump to solution

I just purchased a roku media player & the volume goes up SUPER loud when some commercials come on what can be done? All channels have ads

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Sound

Jump to solution

Hi there! 

As @atc98092  mentioned, content source audio formatting/leveling is determined by each channel provider themselves. If you are running into an issue with audio inside a particular channel, you'll want to contact that channel provider directly to report the issue, and specify the content or specific commercials/ads that you experienced the issue with. 

On supported models of Roku devices, we offer a feature called 'Volume Modes' which aims to help in situations like these. If supported on your model, during playback of any content press the * key on your remote, and look for 'Volume Mode' in the lefthand menu. Try enabling 'Leveling' to see if this helps reduce the volume level inconsistency. See more about Volume Modes here

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

The Roku has no control over the audio of any streaming channel. In fact the only audio control in a Roku is the volume level of the sound make when you press a button on the remote. 

The provider of that channel is the only one that can address such issues. I agree that many providers do a poor job with the audio balancing levels. I say this as someone who has done sound mixing for live events for over 25 years. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi there! 

As @atc98092  mentioned, content source audio formatting/leveling is determined by each channel provider themselves. If you are running into an issue with audio inside a particular channel, you'll want to contact that channel provider directly to report the issue, and specify the content or specific commercials/ads that you experienced the issue with. 

On supported models of Roku devices, we offer a feature called 'Volume Modes' which aims to help in situations like these. If supported on your model, during playback of any content press the * key on your remote, and look for 'Volume Mode' in the lefthand menu. Try enabling 'Leveling' to see if this helps reduce the volume level inconsistency. See more about Volume Modes here

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Openview99
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is a major problem with all devices. (Ex. Cable, Satellite, Etc.  The sad thing is that is is a federal law stating that commercials can not be louder than the program itself.  I get so annoyed by it.  I dont understand why this law is not being enforced.

This is the link confirms my statement.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/policy/loud-commercials

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@Openview99 wrote:

This is a major problem with all devices. (Ex. Cable, Satellite, Etc.  The sad thing is that is is a federal law stating that commercials can not be louder than the program itself.  I get so annoyed by it.  I don't understand why this law is not being enforced.

This is the link confirms my statement.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/policy/loud-commercials

Unfortunately, that law only applies to OTA broadcasters and pay TV providers. It has no connection to streaming sites, unless it happens to be a company that is just streaming what they broadcast over the air or cable/satellite. So almost anything we stream isn't covered by that law.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos