Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ljkbuyer
Reel Rookie

Volume level on my new Ultra 4800X is so low.

My new Ultra 4800X has a volume level that’s so much lower than my older Ultra model.  Same for the streaming sticks.  For those units I would use a level of around 48.  On my new Ultra the volume needs to be around 80 or higher.  Any reason this should occur?

18 REPLIES 18
Greagor
Reel Rookie

Re: Volume level on my new Ultra 4800X is so low.

I am having the same issue.  The volume is almost a third of what I get from any blu ray player (& what I got streaming through one).  I’m off auto & on HDMI pass through, & it’s still very low.  I would simply appreciate a reason as to why this is occurring, & some information as to what if anything could be done.  I have never had to crank the volume so high on my receiver.  Oh, & on Netflix when I’m done watching something & it switches to the previews the volume is HIGH, which is terrible as suddenly it’s back to normal (previous existing levels).  This is ONLY on previews.  All streaming services exhibit low volumes, so it is definitely the Roku.  I have a good Denon receiver, & have played with all kinds of sound fields etc..  No matter what; the volume coming from the Roku is always inexplicably low.  Outside of this issue, the Roku works like a charm.

clok

I am experiencing the exact same issue with this on a brand new Ultra 4800X. We are considering returning it as our 2 other Older Ultras do not have this issue. Please, a fix for this is needed. 

0 Kudos
Greagor
Reel Rookie

I have received no response from Roku regarding the low audio levels.  I’ve also noticed the same device is now on sale for $30 less.  Last night I came back into the room (running Netflix) to find a screen with ROKU print had appeared instead of video saying something about the 2.2 connection (the audio was still running).  As I’ve got a pretty good DENON 2019 receiver & a decent 2020 TV this should not ever be an issue.  I turned the DENIN AVR 3600 off & on & the issue was resolved.  I mean... I like the device... it’s fast, easy to operate, the upscaling is decent... but definitely some bugs.  I’m also on Ethernet in & HDMI out.  I’m not even daring the Roku to do wireless.  

0 Kudos
Ljkbuyer
Reel Rookie

Another observation on this volume issue.  Using Locast.org app, the volume level for ME tv appears to be fine, around level 50.  But when I switch to NBC on Locast.org the volume goes low and needs to be raised to 80 to achieve same audio level as ME tv.  Same for other stations broadcasted on Locast.org, some are fine while others are extremely low.  

Hulu tv app appears to be much better now.

Never had this volume level issue on my older Roku Ultra or the sticks.  Hopefully they will have a firmware update to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
gildy

I just bought the 2020 Roku Ultra to go with my new 2020 4k tv and noticed the volume was too low from all the apps.  The apps built in to my Samsung Q7DT were much louder so I quit using the Roku.  I also have a 2019 Roku Ultra on my other TV and it sounds normal.  I did notice that recently after receiving an update the 2019 Roku Ultra sounded even louder so maybe an update could fix the 2020 model?  Anyway I'm going to hang on to the 2020 Roku Ultra in hopes that Roku will fix it.  Please Roku fix this issue that so many customers have noticed.

0 Kudos
Ljkbuyer
Reel Rookie

Update:  I switched from Hulu TV to YouTube TV and have the same low volume issue.  Certain stations such as CBS, NBC, ABC, etc have a lower volume level than other stations.  Also, when the Ad Info icon appears in the upper left corner for certain Ads the volume goes close to mute.  Now this may not be a bad thing having commercials go mute, but this is certainly not normal.  Hope Roku comes up with a solution soon - very annoying.  

0 Kudos
MikeG1

I am experiencing the exact same thing on my new Roku Ultra 2020 (4800X) with low volume. I have 4 other Roku Ultras (4660X2, circa 2018) and they are super little machines with great volume level but for some reason this new 4800X just has low volume issues. To prove it wasn’t my TV, I took one of the older 4660X2 Ultras and connected it to the same TV using the exact same cable, watched the same exact thing and didn’t adjust the TV volume (literally just swapping the HDMI cable back and forth between the old and new). The older Roku Ultra had a much higher volume than the new. I did notice the newer Roku Ultra has more audio adjustment options and I tried EVERY single one of them with no luck. Still lower volume with the new 4800X which is bad for my application because it’s in the basement near my furnace. So when the furnace fires and operates, there’s a lot more ambient noise so I have to crank the volume up quite high just to get to a decent level with the new 4800X Ultra. Also, the whole point in getting yet another Roku Ultra was because the 65” Samsung smart TV it’s connected to is getting slow (just like any older computer would over time) but the picture is superb so I figured I’d get a new Roku with zippier processor to navigate menus quicker which basically relegates my ‘smart’ TV to just a monitor with the Roku connected. So I can either use the natve pokey TV apps/menus with good volume or use my new 4800X with fast and zippy navigation but with low volume. I’m hoping there’s a firmware fix at some point but may return this box if there isn’t reasonably quick resolution or at least promise of a fix on the horizon. Hoping Roku monitors these message boards. Please address. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Harambe2016
Reel Rookie

Roku Support Questions

I am having the same issue and just sent email to support and will reply with any updates. Sharing my issue here.

My setup:

Sony Bravia X900H Series

Roku Ultra (4800 series) 2020

Yamaha Soundbar ATS 2090 (Has: 4k & 3D pass-through, ARC, CEC, DTS Virtual X, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS Digital Surround

The soundbar is connected to TV via HDMI Arc, Roku is connected to HDMI 1. 

Roku details:

SN: X01000VCU7AW

SV: 9.4.1 build 4212-C2

Device ID: S02A20ACU7AW

Connected to 5G wifi network

Problem: Low volume w/ Roku compared to other inputs. 

Background: Had prev model of Roku Ultra and no sound issues. Got the new model, at some point noticed that needed to increase the sound by 10-15 points higher compared with previous version. Compared same apps/shows flipping back and forth and sound is louder and clearer coming through TV android app as well as Xbox One input. The lower sound on the Roku is noticed across all apps. There is a possibility that show previews/intros are louder than rest of show but not 100% sure on this. We also noticed several events where we would get clipping sounds through soundbar via Roku that was only fixed with restarting the Roku. 

Tried all different sound on Roku with not much difference, left it on Auto Pass-Through for now.

0 Kudos
Gusbaker
Channel Surfer

Same issue here, just picked up the Ultra 4800X to replace an old Roku Streaming Stick I had.

They were both attached to a Samsung UN40N5200. I also have an Xbox One.

I boxed up the old streaming stick, but I don't remember any audio issues, but I can definitely tell the difference between streaming to the Roku and streaming through the same apps on Xbox. On the Roku I typically have to adjust the volume to around twice what is required on the Xbox. Hulu and Netflix seem like the worst. On Xbox, I typically have the volume between 25-35 and it's fine...the same channels (even same shows) on Roku require me to have the volume at least to 65-75 to listen comfortably.

This is really strange and annoying, and none of the little "audio leveling" settings on Roku help (or seem to really do anything at all for that matter).

0 Kudos