Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sherm71tank
Reel Rookie

Re: Volume is too loud on commercials too low on shows/movies

That's a relief!  At least now that we know the volume of commercials and/or programs is out of wack maybe something can be done.

Qutherlee

I have the same issue.  I saw another post that stated it was not Roku but the airing channel.  Well if that the case. The TV i have the issue with is a Roku brand TV, 2020 version.  I have a second generation Samsung plasma TV that I got around 2008. It has the option to balance the volume and make all audio level and I don't have this issue.  However the Roku TV and also the device have the same option and i have turned it on and have yet to see it work.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

IME Roku's "Leveling" Volume Mode option is minimal at best, and completely ineffective generally, but YMMV.

The entire "Volume Mode" and/or "Sound Settings" functionality (currently buried/available during playback only) needs a complete overhaul and redesign, starting with putting the controls/indicators of its current state in the main UI under Settings/Audio with everything else audio-control related.

Its one of many RokuOS UX/UI design/implementation failings.

Regardless, the CALM act doesnt apply to streaming services (nor can it ever, streaming isnt within the regulatory purview of the FCC), and relies on self reporting/enforcement of MVPDs to the FCC which again, doesnt audit, and only investigates emerging patterns/trends of consumer complaints.

Effectively, there hasnt been any enforcement of CALM (which cant be applied to streaming without significant Congressional intervention), so relying on the FCC or CALM for regulation of commercial loudness is a dead letter.

The most likely source of effective commercial/ad loudness "regulation" is from the industry itself via new/modified technical standards, but this also relies heavily on self-monitored standards compliance.

Ultimately the solution is working/better "leveling" functionality within RokuOS itself, so pressure needs to be put on them to enhance/change/fix it.

Qutherlee

Same here.

0 Kudos

So you are just noticing this???  I have been complaining about the same problem for 50 years.  The TV networks will never change this or they would have by now.

TV networks get their money from the commercial advertising so they want everybody to hear them  Even the Deaf.  LOL

0 Kudos
Rkook
Reel Rookie

I chose the easy answer, I never watch the ROKU channel. It's the only channel I have the problem with.

0 Kudos
Azanna
Reel Rookie

Turn on caps and set your volume to tolerable level. Or just mute it all together. That's what I do to sleep with roku running. 

0 Kudos
pilots48
Channel Surfer

What the "H" does turning on caps do? Do you think people are that stupid to not turn down the volume? Why the "F" would I want to leave ROKU on while I sleep? I shouldn't have to mute when a commercial comes on. I bought a newer Roku and that works great now. No need to mute or turn down the volume!

0 Kudos
Irony58
Streaming Star

@pilots48 wrote:

... I bought a newer Roku and that works great now. No need to mute or turn down the volume!

Which Roku did you get?

0 Kudos
PennyC62
Reel Rookie

Totally agree. I too, have almost stopped watching it. I also run into a problem when using headphones. Some shows/movies I can hear and others won't connect. Headphones will say connected and then there's a little crack sound and no audio at all plays. I restarted headphones, bluetooth, and roku device and nothing. I immediately go to Netflix or Prime and never an issue. I like Roku channel but am watching less and less of it and getting more frustrated.

0 Kudos