Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PennyC62
Reel Rookie

Re: Volume is too loud on commercials too low on shows/movies

I'd like to update my previous post by saying somehow, the crazy loud commercials have been toned down, if Roku has heard our voices and corrected, (and I'm assuming this is the case, as I've changed nothing). Kudos and thank you!

0 Kudos
Irony58
Streaming Star

Thanks for posting that. I tried it out and, sure enough, it seems that the loud commercials (or, more accurately, the soft program volume) has stopped. So much better! I'll be looking into more Roku shows now. I was avoiding the Roku Channel because I was tired of hitting "Mute" all the time.

Interestingly enough, Hulu had the same problem, but that's now fixed. I had to see if the Roku TV itself had fixed the Volume Leveling, but that's unchanged.

0 Kudos
rkjokla53

On your Roku remote, go to the star button (*), go to volume mode, set on audio leveling. Took care of my issue immediately. Hope this helps your problem.

0 Kudos
GRANDSR

chose the easy answer, I never watch the ROKU channel. It's the only channel I have the problem with.

0 Kudos
Annony
Reel Rookie

I am having same problem as multitude of others. My commercials have not lowered at all, especially the Big Sandy Superstore ones which are dangerous to one's hearing!  ROKU, PLEASE FIX, for all devices.

Streamer317
Roku Guru

This isn’t a Roku issue. Press the * button on your remote and enable volume leveling 

0 Kudos
Annony
Reel Rookie

I don't have that option.  Closed captioning and Accessibility & captions are all that appear.

JustSayin
Streaming Star

Actually, the CALM Act (regulated by the FCC) might already apply to Roku. In addition to broadcast, cable, and satellite providers, it includes "other multichannel video program distributors (MVPDs)". Roku devices allow you to access multiple channels. So, maybe.

Even if it doesn't apply, the FCC could still be contacted about this and told that you want streaming channels held to the same volume-leveling standards as other broadcasters. The CALM Act was created because people complained, so yeah, complain.

You can read about the CALM Act here: https://www.fcc.gov/media/policy/loud-commercials 

Anyone can file a complaint here: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us.

Annony
Reel Rookie

I was familiar with the law, but not the name.  I had wondered why Roku wasn't complying.

0 Kudos
BonnieJ

It's not your equipment; it's Roku channels. I've found it to be a problem as well. I'm going back to Hulu or FreeVee. I don't see any comments from the Roku people. I'd think they would be interested in these comments.

0 Kudos