Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fishing2020
Reel Rookie

Re: Volume is too loud on commercials too low on shows/movies

It should be reported to the FCC. Channel volume should not be increased from regular shows to the commercials 

Irony58
Streaming Star

Unfortunately, the FCC does not regulate streaming content. They only have power over broadcast, cable, and satellite transmission.

@Fishing2020 wrote:

It should be reported to the FCC. Channel volume should not be increased from regular shows to the commercials 

Z_man

It happens to me on TCL too. Very annoying!!

This is happening on the Cooking Channel Roku app. I can't live like this esp because I need the TV to stay asleep all night. 

Mia11

I'm trying to watch a movie on Pluto's on demand,  "We were Soldiers " on my TCL ROKU TV. My volume is set on 65 and still can hardly hear it.  You can imagine what the commercials sound like,  it will blow you out of the room!

MDK51

Just like in the movie "Jaws"  this was no accident!  Roku is intentionally reducing the volume of all shows on the Roku channel by 30% to 40%.  Therefore they cannot be accused of increasing the volume of commercials (they are at normal volume).  If you turn the volume up to hear the shows the volume of the commercials will simply be 30% to 40% higher.  Roku is treating its users like uneducated pawns and I would suggest that if most of us users quit using their product they would eventually stop this annoying practice.

Jcanada620

So is there a solution to this issue? I can't watch TV like this and may buy a non TCL TV altogether and avoid roku for good.  

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @Jcanada620

Thanks for posting here in the Community!

You can try enabling Automatic Volume Leveling from the settings menu and see if that will make a difference. Here are the steps:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select Audio.
  4. Select Volume modes and choose the desired setting.

• Leveling: Enables consistent volume across different types of entertainment so you do not have to change the volume every time you switch channels or a commercial comes on.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

Volume leveling does not work.  Commercials are still much louder than programming.  Example 1, CNN over Hulu.  Example 2, Pluto News.

Edit:  The TV has a "virtual" surround sound audio feature but only two physical speakers.  Turning that surround feature off seemed to mitigate the worst of the problem.  Volume leveling is doing something; I notice the gain floating up and down.  Unfortunately, it sometimes introduces latency--but not always.

0 Kudos
pilots48
Channel Surfer

I have determined that it's not that the commercials are to loud it's that the programs volume are to low. If I am watching live TV and switch to Hulu I don't have to adjust volume if a commercial is on but have to turn up the volume when the program is on.

0 Kudos