Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RaidRiver
Level 7

Volume Control with Roku 3 in 2019?

Hi all. I have two Roku 3 units, 4200X and 4230X. Both with software version 9.0.0 build 4084-04. I also have two remotes with volume controls, type RC19. Both units are connected via HDMI. Accessing "The Secret Menu" for the remotes show that they are sending volume commands and the LED on the players light up.

However, the volume does not change:

• On the home screen

• In Netflix

• In Plex

• In Xfinity Player

What does it take to get the volume to change? Are my remotes both somehow bad?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Volume Control with Roku 3 in 2019?

Your TV might not have CEC built into it. Roku 3 remotes used CEC through HDMI to send the volume and power-on commands to Roku 3. Also, CEC is not 100% between two different branded devices. 
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

If you want volume for sure, update your remotes to one with IR volume, your remote does not have this.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"RaidRiver" wrote:
Hi all. I have two Roku 3 units, 4200X and 4230X. Both with software version 9.0.0 build 4084-04. I also have two remotes with volume controls, type RC19. Both units are connected via HDMI. Accessing "The Secret Menu" for the remotes show that they are sending volume commands and the LED on the players light up.

However, the volume does not change:

• On the home screen

• In Netflix

• In Plex

• In Xfinity Player

What does it take to get the volume to change? Are my remotes both somehow bad?

Thanks.

There is also the possibility that there are more than one configuration for that model TV. When you set up the remote to control TV, you probably responded to the first set of codes that controlled the TV. Try skipping that one and trying another. Note that I have read reports of over 40 different possibilities for some TVs, so that might be a bit tedious if it works, and frustrating if it doesn't.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the note. Some Roku 3 models were sold with remotes that included volume controls for use with Remote Private Listening. If your remote has a private listening audio jack, try connecting a pair of headphones and then using the volume buttons. You should see an icon appear on the Roku screen indicating volume change. 

As far as remotes that offer TV power and volume control, some of our current player models are sold with newer remote hardware that allows the remotes to control TV power and volume. These are the 'Roku Voice Remote' and the 'Roku Enhanced Voice Remote'. You can check out these remotes and their current player compatibility here: https://www.roku.com/accessories

As far as the Roku 3, this device model was produced a number of years before these remotes were introduced into Roku's offerings, and unfortunately do not support the newer remotes.

Hope that helps clear up the questions! 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos