Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lrattels
Level 7

Voice distortion (sounds like talking under water) on Roku Ultra

I have a Roku Ultra. The voice is so distorted that must read captions. I have tried going to settings and restarting, etc. Still distorted voice. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Voice distortion (sounds like talking under water) on Roku Ultra

@lrattels

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? Is this happening on a specific channel or does it happen on all channels? In addition, does this happen when playing specific content or with all content?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Voice distortion (sounds like talking under water) on Roku Ultra

@lrattels wrote:

I have a Roku Ultra. The voice is so distorted that must read captions. I have tried going to settings and restarting, etc. Still distorted voice. 

If you have a 2020 Ultra (4800), try changing Settings/Audio/HDMI to "Auto passthrough" (do not leave it at "Auto detect")

Otherwise, turn off and completely unplug the power of all the devices in your HDMI chain (Roku, TV, AVR, etc) for several minutes, then turn them on, 1 by 1, in the following order: AVR (if you have one), TV, then Roku.