Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgalagher
Level 7

Vizio and Roku incompatible?

I have a Roku HD/XR and it works just fine hooked up to my Vizio 37" HDTV via HDMI. However, when I try to connect the same Roku box to my Vizio 47" HDTV via HDMI I get static. I have been on the phone with Roku and also contacted them via email. No one seems to know the answer to this. I have switched cables, reversed cables, rebooted, reset, changed resolution before moving the Roku box. Nothing seems to work. Anybody else have this issue? Any ideas? I would really like to have the XR on my main TV since it can be set to 1080P and has the USB input. Help!
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Vizio and Roku incompatible?

Í read a few vizio tv sets have had hdmi problems. One thing to try if you have not yet. Try all the hdmi ports on the tv.
I have a vizio 32 inch and it works finefor me but some had to return the tv something about bad ports on the tv itself.
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Level 7

"rgalagher" wrote:
I have a Roku HD/XR and it works just fine hooked up to my Vizio 37" HDTV via HDMI. However, when I try to connect the same Roku box to my Vizio 47" HDTV via HDMI I get static. I have been on the phone with Roku and also contacted them via email. No one seems to know the answer to this. I have switched cables, reversed cables, rebooted, reset, changed resolution before moving the Roku box. Nothing seems to work. Anybody else have this issue? Any ideas? I would really like to have the XR on my main TV since it can be set to 1080P and has the USB input. Help!

I have a 26" Vizio and the HDMI works fine. I would try hooking it up via another cable type first to verify its working. The Roku outputs through all outputs simultaneously, while its working on composite for instance, plug in an hdmi at the same time and flip the tvs input over to see if it is still working. If it is, then switch the resolution to what you want and unplug the composite. FYI though, aside from a few videos, there's really nothing that streams in 1080p.. AVOD is 720p, and Hulu+ and Netflix are at 720p on their HD offerings. Worse comes to worse you can use component cables.
0 Kudos
nushmut
Level 7

I've tried my XDS on a 19" Vizio (VA19L to be specific) using HDMI and it works great. rgalagher, I'm guessing you're looking to use the USB channel to run actual 1080p video on a native screen. One thing you might try, if possible, is another HDMI cable (another brand too).

Once time, about two months ago, I did have the static thing happen, but I was always able to get rid of it by cycling the active HDMI port (i.e., going from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2, then back). You might try that too.
Roku XDS, AppleTV 4th Gen
1.0 gbps on Google Fiber (wifi-N to Roku)
Panasonic P42ST30 HDTV & BD-85 Blu-ray Player
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 system

Paid services:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu (no ads), HBO Now, MLB.tv, NHL.tv, Roksbox
0 Kudos
bc24
Level 7

I have a 42 inch Vizio Plasma display. I have an HDMI switcher hooked up to it. Sometimes I get static when switching between HDMI devices. I usually have to turn the TV off and back on and then it works properly. Sounds like your particular TV is having HDMI issues if it doesn't go away after switching inputs and switching back or turning the TV off and back on again to complete a new HDMI handshake.
0 Kudos
rgalagher
Level 7

Thanks to all who responded. I know the XR works fine with component cables so maybe I'll try the idea of connecting both types of cables. I'll also give HDMI switching a go and see what happens. I just know that my oldest Roku HD works just fine on the 47" Vizio but the Roku HD/XR does not. Tomorrow I'll do some more experimenting. Also, does anyone know it it's OK to use the power adapter from one Roku on another model? I think the amps or some rating on the plug differs between my two boxes. The adapters are both located behind cabinets so it's a pain in the neck to switch out the plugs. I"ll do it if I have to.
Thanks again.
0 Kudos

old one puts out 1.5 amps new one puts out 2.5 amps. That might make be the problem. There both 5 volts out
0 Kudos
VizioTV23
Level 7

I know this is an old issue but I was having this same problem these last two weeks with the remote and wireless not connecting after the first time. The wireless router is only 10' away through a wall. I have a Vizio 23" TV ~2016 that hangs in my gym room, plus purchased the Roku Stick+ so that it would turn on my TV and do volume control (only that model does this). I also had this same issue with the $29.99 Roku version - IR, and got rid of it to this expensive version ($59.99) because I thought it would solve the problem since it has an extra wireless booster on it. Nope! 
Here's what did solve it. After LOTS of troubleshooting. I turned off the wireless on the TV (not sure now if that's even necessary but it was my first attempt at troubleshooting and it worked for a bit) and then had to use the USB extender and wall adapter provided instead of using the TV's USB as the power source. Once the cable itself and the wireless booster was farther away from the TV it seemed to work. Someone on this thread mentioned the power source amps and that's what made me think my Vizio might not have been pumping out good or enough electricity. Before trying the USB adapter I did ordered Roku's free HDMI extension cable because I did not think it was the USB but thought it was a bad HDMI source from the TV. (interference) Anyway, after moving the power source to the wall, and keeping the cable away from the TV itself, my system NOW finally works faster and is responsive and connects immediately to our home network. Hope this helps someone else. Good luck.
0 Kudos