Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Vizio E-Series (2018) Losing HDMI to Roku

I have a Vizio E-Series TV from Christmas 2018 and a Roku Premiere that has functioned perfectly since that time with it. However, I have been having a constant issue for about 2 weeks that the Roku now has to be cycled each time I turn on the TV or I have either a blank screen with the TV reporting an odd resolution or I will get the dreaded HDMI handshake screen that looks completely white with colored speckles of static. I have more than one Roku and have them both with the same result. I have also tried different HDMI cables and different inputs on the TV with the same result. Sounds to me like the last TV update may have caused this since I have no issues anywhere else and no issues with the other devices connected to the TV. Anyone have any other ideas (maybe just get a Firestick, LOL)?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Vizio E-Series (2018) Losing HDMI to Roku

So this issue has persisted for two weeks and was easily replicable. So, we have had to resort to restarting the Roku each time we go to watch TV by unplugging and re-plugging the power. However, most recently we saw the issue after we had the Roku working when we switched between two apps (YouTube and CBS All Access), requiring a restart again at that time. My only thought is that either a Roku update or a TV update caused this and with as many Rokus out there in the wild, they will fix it soon (since I have determined it is any Roku, not just that unit).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Vizio E-Series (2018) Losing HDMI to Roku

Hey Roku, anyone listening? I can't be sure this is the TV or the Roku but I could sure use some help. This HAS to be either a Roku update that caused this, or one from Vizio but I have no way of knowing which. I have now tried a Roku Premiere, a Premiere plus, a Streaming Stick AND a Roku Express. I have tried three HDMI cables and I have tried every HDMI input on the TV with the issue being replicable every time. As I said, it could be the TV, except that every other device connected, including a computer, an XBox One S and a UHD Blu Ray player have no issues. 

I really need help figuring this out. I would just use the computer and maybe I should, but many of the apps I use are not available except in a browser.

0 Kudos