Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Absurdist
Reel Rookie

Videos only display a purple screen but audio still works

When I connect my roku 4 (4400x) to my Samsung tv (ru8000) with a certified premium hmdi cable, the menu looks perfect but as soon as I play any kind of video, the screen turns purple but I can still hear the audio of the video. Both the tv and roku are on the latest firmware. I tried switching hdmi ports, resetting the roku and tv, and even unplugged my tv for a few minutes which seemed to work for others with similar problems to mine but nothing seems to work. When I tried to auto detect the display type, the roku wants to set the display to 480p with hdcp 1.4 even though it’s fully capable of 4K with hdcp 2.2 but when I plugged the roku in an older 4K tv everything worked fine. I tried looking for any kind of solution but I can’t seem to find any. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Videos only display a purple screen but audio still works

@Absurdist

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? When the screen is purple, is it just blank or is there a message on the screen? Can you provide a screen shot of the issue you are seeing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Absurdist
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R 
Thank you for your response.

When the screen is purple, it is just blank regardless if the video is streaming through an app or playing through the media player using a hard drive. And every time I can hear the audio of the video playing. Something I noticed was the blank purple screen’s size will differ depending on the aspect ratio of the video

https://imgur.com/a/aEhTWcx

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Absurdist

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Absurdist
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R 

Roku device model - 4400X -Roku 4

serial number - YY0093809466

device ID - 4U75A9809466

software OS/version - 10.5.0 build 4208-17

Tracker ID - 66-028-712

This issue occurs with every video I try to play 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Absurdist

Thanks for the follow up and providing me with your information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos