Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cw5

Video goes black

Have had roku express for over a year with no issues, lately the video goes black numerous times while trying to watch something. The audio remains. The only way to get the picture back, is to turn the tv off and on again. This happens on any channel we try watching with streaming. I’ve tried rebooting, restarting, unplugging, checked all cables. Just keeps doing it, seems to happen more frequently as time goes by

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
BobS2
Binge Watcher

Re: Video goes black

The video and audio go black, sometimes for a few seconds, other times it lasts longer and sometimes basically stops working and doesn't return.  Tonight (April 16) it happened so frequently and was so bad that we gave up using the Roku.  Thought it was a problem with BritBox, so went to the Roku channel and had the same experience.  Roku needs to fix this fast!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@BobS2

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV to see if that helps?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BobS2
Binge Watcher

Solved the problem by purchasing a $10 remote controlled power cord so that I could turn the Roku Express off and on so it would not be on and heating up when I wasn't using it.

Bob S

0 Kudos
BH_Farm

RE: Video goes black using Roku Ultra

I have been having the same issued daily with a Roku Ultra with a high quality Samsung UHD TV.  It did not do this initially.  Now it does it all the time when streaming.  I don't get "blackouts" using the TV with the Internet alone, when not using the Roku Ultra.  Can Roku fix this?  Is there a solution?  Or is my Ultra just a piece of **bleep**?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: RE: Video goes black using Roku Ultra

Hi @BH_Farm,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables? Have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as trying your device on another TV to see if you are seeing the same issue? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos