Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cor0
Level 7

Video/audio interruptions

Recently I've connected my roku tv to my desktop computer for watching movies and shows and it mostly runs great. However there's a 3-5 second interruption to the video and audio together when starting a video or changing to fullscreen, and sometimes just when trying to fast forward or pause.

I've looked through all the settings and haven't found a way to remedy the issue; any thoughts?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
thetick
Level 8

Re: Video/audio interruptions

That seems like normal behavior for many ISPs as they all tend to over subscribe bandwidth (ie make more money with only minor affect of users performance)  Just enough that you don't disconnect your service).   This is called buffer delay and not data interruption.  Nothing Roku can do other than suggest you get a new ISP if you are not satisfied.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos
Cor0
Level 7

Re: Video/audio interruptions

Maybe I was unclear about the nature of the problem. ISP's don't have access to turn off the entire tv display while having the video play (while the tv is black) causing me to miss content.
0 Kudos
thetick
Level 8

Re: Video/audio interruptions

"Cor0" wrote:
Maybe I was unclear about the nature of the problem. ISP's don't have access to turn off the entire tv display while having the video play (while the tv is black) causing me to miss content.

Huh ?
ISP provides network data using TCP/IP protocol.  Your Roku has an embedded operating system based on Linux that runs a TCP/IP software stack to process requested network data.  The black delay you see on your TV is the time it takes enough data to arrive for the Roku to process it and transform the data into video data to display on your TV.

This is just like having a very long hose and you turn on the water  The water does not appear instantly but there is an initial delay.  After the delay the stream is continuous.  Note resizing , restarting from pause (ie what call black TV)... is analogous to turning off the water.  So when you start it again you will have the delay again.

This is actually how streaming works.  The delay called network latency can vary from ISP to ISP and depends on your distance (over simplified ) actually it's more number switches(and their network speed)  in the path from your ISP to destination video source.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos
Cor0
Level 7

Re: Video/audio interruptions

"thetick" wrote:
"Cor0" wrote:
Maybe I was unclear about the nature of the problem. ISP's don't have access to turn off the entire tv display while having the video play (while the tv is black) causing me to miss content.

Huh ?
ISP provides network data using TCP/IP protocol.  Your Roku has an embedded operating system based on Linux that runs a TCP/IP software stack to process requested network data.  The black delay you see on your TV is the time it takes enough data to arrive for the Roku to process it and transform the data into video data to display on your TV.

This is just like having a very long hose and you turn on the water  The water does not appear instantly but there is an initial delay.  After the delay the stream is continuous.  Note resizing , restarting from pause (ie what call black TV)... is analogous to turning off the water.  So when you start it again you will have the delay again.

This is actually how streaming works.  The delay called network latency can vary from ISP to ISP and depends on your distance (over simplified ) actually it's more number switches(and their network speed)  in the path from your ISP to destination video source.


I accept that there can be on-screen delays when starting or pausing a stream, but that's not what's happening. The stream starts instantly while roku takes several seconds to catch up to it.

There's no delay on any phones or tablets in the house, and no delays on the exact same functions when hooked up to my other tv.

So unless my ISP is running a program to check for roku branded products and specifically throttling them just barely enough to be slightly annoying, I seem to think that's not the problem.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Video/audio interruptions

"Cor0" wrote:
Recently I've connected my roku tv to my desktop computer for watching movies and shows and it mostly runs great. However there's a 3-5 second interruption to the video and audio together when starting a video or changing to fullscreen, and sometimes just when trying to fast forward or pause.

I've looked through all the settings and haven't found a way to remedy the issue; any thoughts?

Connected how? HDMI? Wireless via mirroring or some casting function?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Cor0
Level 7

Re: Video/audio interruptions

"DBDukes" wrote:
"Cor0" wrote:
Recently I've connected my roku tv to my desktop computer for watching movies and shows and it mostly runs great. However there's a 3-5 second interruption to the video and audio together when starting a video or changing to fullscreen, and sometimes just when trying to fast forward or pause.

I've looked through all the settings and haven't found a way to remedy the issue; any thoughts?

Connected how? HDMI? Wireless via mirroring or some casting function?


Regular HDMI. There's an option for HDMI(arc) that I'm not using if that matters.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
thetick
Level 8

Re: Video/audio interruptions

"Cor0" wrote:
"thetick" wrote:
"Cor0" wrote:
Maybe I was unclear about the nature of the problem. ISP's don't have access to turn off the entire tv display while having the video play (while the tv is black) causing me to miss content.

Huh ?
ISP provides network data using TCP/IP protocol.  Your Roku has an embedded operating system based on Linux that runs a TCP/IP software stack to process requested network data.  The black delay you see on your TV is the time it takes enough data to arrive for the Roku to process it and transform the data into video data to display on your TV.

This is just like having a very long hose and you turn on the water  The water does not appear instantly but there is an initial delay.  After the delay the stream is continuous.  Note resizing , restarting from pause (ie what call black TV)... is analogous to turning off the water.  So when you start it again you will have the delay again.

This is actually how streaming works.  The delay called network latency can vary from ISP to ISP and depends on your distance (over simplified ) actually it's more number switches(and their network speed)  in the path from your ISP to destination video source.


I accept that there can be on-screen delays when starting or pausing a stream, but that's not what's happening. The stream starts instantly while roku takes several seconds to catch up to it.

There's no delay on any phones or tablets in the house, and no delays on the exact same functions when hooked up to my other tv.

So unless my ISP is running a program to check for roku branded products and specifically throttling them just barely enough to be slightly annoying, I seem to think that's not the problem.

Others have stated this is normal and you just deny with irrelevant details you feel contradict.  It's clear you are unaware of your own lack of understanding of network and technology in general.  I'll refrain from commenting on any of your future posts.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Video/audio interruptions

"Cor0" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:
"Cor0" wrote:
Recently I've connected my roku tv to my desktop computer for watching movies and shows and it mostly runs great. However there's a 3-5 second interruption to the video and audio together when starting a video or changing to fullscreen, and sometimes just when trying to fast forward or pause.

I've looked through all the settings and haven't found a way to remedy the issue; any thoughts?

Connected how? HDMI? Wireless via mirroring or some casting function?


Regular HDMI. There's an option for HDMI(arc) that I'm not using if that matters.

So you're using your computer to locate online content, then outputting it from your computer to an HDMI input on a Roku TV? And everything is fine? Then you FF the content and it takes a few seconds to start playing again? Is that what you're talking about?

If so, does the same thing happen when outputting your computer's video to an HDMI monitor?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Cor0
Level 7

Re: Video/audio interruptions

"DBDukes" wrote:
"Cor0" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:
"Cor0" wrote:
Recently I've connected my roku tv to my desktop computer for watching movies and shows and it mostly runs great. However there's a 3-5 second interruption to the video and audio together when starting a video or changing to fullscreen, and sometimes just when trying to fast forward or pause.

I've looked through all the settings and haven't found a way to remedy the issue; any thoughts?

Connected how? HDMI? Wireless via mirroring or some casting function?


Regular HDMI. There's an option for HDMI(arc) that I'm not using if that matters.

So you're using your computer to locate online content, then outputting it from your computer to an HDMI input on a Roku TV? And everything is fine? Then you FF the content and it takes a few seconds to start playing again? Is that what you're talking about?

If so, does the same thing happen when outputting your computer's video to an HDMI monitor?


Yes that's the setup I have now and internet browsing is fine, steam games are fine, no problems turning the computer on and off, but streams glitch out.

And if it was just a delay in starting the stream I wouldn't care, but on roku the stream runs while I cant see or hear it, forcing me to rewind (and the rewind button usually promts the same error).

This problem is completely absent on a computer monitor or my non-smart tv connected by hdmi. It could be that roku is trying to compensate for a change in resolution during fullscreen, but I don't see how that would explain pause and rewind. I'm stumped.
0 Kudos