Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snave8
Level 7

Video Keeps Cutting Out When Set To 4:2:2

Just picked up a Ultra (2020) model. This is my first stand alone streaming device. I've been streaming through my Panasonic 4K player up till now, but my streaming options were limited, so I thought I'd give the Roku a try. The streaming on the Panasonic player is flawless for Netflix and Amazon Prime.

The problem is the Video constantly cuts out every 30 seconds or so when color sampling is set to 4:2:2 but the audio continues to play. If I set it to 4:2:0 it doesn't cut out, but non 4K material looks awful. The only thing I can do is leave HDR "always on" for non-HDR material (which improves the picture), then set it to "off" when viewing HDR material, otherwise the HDR material looks soft if I leave HDR "always on" I tried turning the power off and resetting the player which did nothing.  I'm running the Roku through a Marantz SR7011 receiver into a JVC RS 520 4K projector. All are compatible with 4:2:2 as well as 4:4:4.

Do I have a defective unit??

0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Video Keeps Cutting Out When Set To 4:2:2

Check both the AVR and the projector to ensure you have all the correct settings for HDR. In my Yamaha AVRs, there's a Mode 1 and Mode 2, with Mode 1 being required for full 4K/HDR. On Samsung TVs they call the setting UHD Color. I forget what LG labels theirs, and on the TVs it's a setting for each HDMI port individually. I'm unfamiliar with Marantz or your JVC, but my guess is they both have something similar. Without those settings enabled, you can't pass the full video bitstream. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
snave8
Level 7

Thanks for the reply. When streaming 4K HDR content on my Panasonic 4K player, I'm getting full 4K HRD on the projector. Everything is going through the Marantz, and then out to the projector through the same projector HDMI input, so I doubt its the receiver or the projector.

I forgot to mention in my original post that one time (out of numerous times) the the video went blank, I got the HDCP Error Detected Screen, but like I said, that only happened once.

0 Kudos
rms75
Level 7

I have the same issue when I try to use 4:2:2. TV is Vizio P-75. Roku is streaming + but I have a 2020 Ultra on the way.

0 Kudos
snave8
Level 7

They definitely have a problem that needs to get fixed ASAP. I've been emailing back and forth with their engineering  dept.....We'll se if anything comes of it

0 Kudos
rms75
Level 7

Please post here if they do

0 Kudos
rms75
Level 7

BTW, what does one gain by having it set to 4:2:2 in terms of picture quality. Not sure I even understand the difference.

0 Kudos
snave8
Level 7

In my case, I'm running the Roku through a Marantz SR7011 receiver and out to a JVC 4K projector. When set to 4:2:0, the 4k image looks "soft" and the non-4K material looks downright awful...Day and night difference.

I have no idea why that is, or even what the 4:2:0, 4:2:2 means

0 Kudos
rms75
Level 7

So my brand new Roku Ultra (2020) does NOT have this problem. It's on 4:2:2 and working fine. (My streaming stick + did have the cutting in and out).

0 Kudos