Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Innovator
Level 9

Re: Version 9.2.0 Build 4750-46 has serious handshake issue with 4K-60HZ, when connected to AVR’s.

Jump to solution

@Stale wrote:

For (apparently) any Roku device running software version 9.2.0, the ONLY time the Roku device will reliably establish an HDMI connection with ANY port on ANY device is at Roku power up. If you switch inputs on your receiver (or TV) just for a second & switch back to Roku, another power reset of the Roku device will be required in order to reliably reestablish another HDMI connection. It's not clear whether the Roku devices are even attempting to negotiate an HDCP 2.2 handshake at any time other than power up. My guess is they are not.

I noticed one variation to this with my setup:

• With the older 4660x Ultra, this description matches what I was seeing exactly. The required reboots were one of the reasons why I was thinking the Roku might be failing.
  • However with the new 4670x Ultra, the behavior is slightly different. When I turn everything on under 9.2.0, I will still be greeted with a black screen (this part is the same). With the newer 4670x Roku though, flipping inputs on the Denon receiver away from the Roku and then back again brings up the screen correctly (no Roku reboot required anymore). This certainly was not the case with the older device though, as I agree that one (4660x) needed to be reboot every time to restore the display. I'm not sure if anyone else is seeing this behavior on the newer 4670x device?

On a side note, I changed the display type on the Roku to 4K/60hz (no HDR) and so far it seems to have worked around the issue as LloydC mentioned, so I would agree that the 9.2.0 problem seems very much related to having HDR enabled.

Stale: Just curious -- is your 4670X device connected to HDR capable equipment? On the 4670X, is the "Display Type" set to "Auto" or to any manual setting which includes HDR? If the answers are "yes" and "yes", that would be a new wrinkle indeed.

Stale
Level 8

Re: Version 9.2.0 Build 4750-46 has serious handshake issue with 4K-60HZ, when connected to AVR’s.

Jump to solution

Yeah, both Roku configs are identical for these descriptions:

• With the older 4660x Ultra, this description matches what I was seeing exactly. The required reboots were one of the reasons why I was thinking the Roku might be failing.
    • Roku 4660x - Set to 4K/60Hz/HDR, with 4:2:2 enabled on the advanced screen.
  • However with the new 4670x Ultra, the behavior is slightly different. When I turn everything on under 9.2.0, I will still be greeted with a black screen (this part is the same). With the newer 4670x Roku though, flipping inputs on the Denon receiver away from the Roku and then back again brings up the screen correctly (no Roku reboot required anymore). This certainly was not the case with the older device though, as I agree that one (4660x) needed to be reboot every time to restore the display. I'm not sure if anyone else is seeing this behavior on the newer 4670x device?
    • Roku 4670x - Set to 4K/60Hz/HDR, with 4:2:2 enabled on the advanced screen.

In each of these cases they connect to a Denon AVR-X2300W, and then up to a Sony 4K. Basically everything in the chain is 4K/HDR enabled, and I also have a AppleTV 4K on the next input that has had no issues. The older Roku (4660X) did run for quite some time in this mode (even with 4:2:2 enabled), and only started acting up a few weeks ago (I wish I could remember if I did a firmware update around that time, but I cannot recall; typically I keep everything up-to date though).

Tbaudoin1
Level 8

Jump to solution
I’m having the same problem as of Nov 1. Sony XBR75X940E hdr display, Anthem MRX720 AVR (no video processing whatever). ROKU Ultra, year old. Set at 4:2:2 output. Because when I set it up originally, I had HDCP errors with 4:2:0.

All worked decently consistent until the update. Now I have to switch inputs and back to get it to sync. WTH.
0 Kudos
ljklhjhhjkhkjhk
Level 9

Jump to solution

I'd like to note that while most users are reporting this as a Ultra/4K issue it is actually broader that that.

I have a Streaming Stick+ plugged directly into an HDMI port on a Sony Bravia (1080i/720p) TV with external power going to the stick ... and the same problem as everyone else ... no signal going to the HDMI port at power up.  In my case, I've found the work-around is to physically remove the stick from the HDMI port and then plug it back in.  After that, things will be rock solid, until I want to turn the TV off, then I have to unplug/replug again.

I even bought a replacement stick from Best Buy, thinking I had a hardware problem.  It worked briefly, then updated to 9.2.0 and lost signal.  I placed a call to Roku hoping for a resolution.  They're sending me a replacement stick but I don't expect that to fix anything as I'm now certain its a Roku firmware problem.

Innovator
Level 9

Jump to solution

@ljklhjhhjkhkjhk wrote:

I'd like to note that while most users are reporting this as a Ultra/4K issue it is actually broader that that.

I have a Streaming Stick+ plugged directly into an HDMI port on a Sony Bravia (1080i/720p) TV with external power going to the stick ... and the same problem as everyone else ... no signal going to the HDMI port at power up.  In my case, I've found the work-around is to physically remove the stick from the HDMI port and then plug it back in.  After that, things will be rock solid, until I want to turn the TV off, then I have to unplug/replug again.

I even bought a replacement stick from Best Buy, thinking I had a hardware problem.  It worked briefly, then updated to 9.2.0 and lost signal.  I placed a call to Roku hoping for a resolution.  They're sending me a replacement stick but I don't expect that to fix anything as I'm now certain its a Roku firmware problem.

@ljklhjhhjkhkjhk: Correct. Nothing will change until Roku fixes their firmware.

0 Kudos
Rich428
Level 9

Jump to solution

Funny that we have almost identical systems.  Ultras, X8500's & Q9FN's ... I have 2 Ultra's extended via Monitor 1 and Zone 2, Monitor one is extended to a 74Q900R, but Zone 2 is the 65Q9FN.  All controlled via C4. I use AVPro Edge AC-EX100-444-Kit's to extend over Cat6a.  We even use the same HDMI cables.

Can't display 4K HDR @60Hz.  With all of the other Handshake issues.  Have you tried watching something with advertisements?  Crazy unwatchable.

By the way, have you experimented with ARC?  Never got mine to work.

0 Kudos
devanb
Level 8

Jump to solution

I just wanted to add another Roku user affected by this issue.  For the past 2 days I was troubleshooting my AVR and cables until I found this thread.

I have a roku Ultra on the newest 9.2 firmware.   Denon 3300 going to an LG OLED 65.  Ultimately I set the resolution on the Roku to 1080p until this is resolved.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Thanks for the patience here while we've looked into the issue you reported. Please visit Settings>System>System update>Check now to check for a system update. This should help resolve the issue you were seeing. 

You'll also likely need to change your selection in Settings>Display type back to 'Auto-detect'. 

Please keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

devanb
Level 8

Jump to solution

Since updating the firmware, the problem of no signal has been resolved.

Thank you!

Propellerhead00
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi Tanner,

I can report that since updating my 4670X to the latest firmware released tonight from 4750-46 to 9.2.0 - 4806-46 and setting by display type back to auto detect that the latest firmware has seemed to correct the issue previously caused by the prior update.

My LG TV and Yamaha AVR are still in their original state prior to the firmware update as I did not change any of their settings:  They are basically set as the following:

LG HDMI set for Ultra HD Deep Color

Yamaha AVR set to Mode 1 for 4K - Input/Output 4K /60Hz signals in 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 format.

So far so good.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos