Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffd0956
Level 7

Using Roku with AVR

I am thinking about purchasing the Roku Ultra, however Direct TV Now will provide 2 free Roku 7000x with a subscription to their streaming service. Not sure which Roku I want, but my question concerns using the Roku device with my Yamaha RX-479 AVR. Do I simply plug the Roku into one of the HDMI inputs on the AVR and connect HDMI out to TV? And will that pass thru DD5.1 I am not using ARC.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Using Roku with AVR

"jeffd0956" wrote:
I am thinking about purchasing the Roku Ultra, however Direct TV Now will provide 2 free Roku 7000x with a subscription to their streaming service. Not sure which Roku I want, but my question concerns using the Roku device with my Yamaha RX-479 AVR. Do I simply plug the Roku into one of the HDMI inputs on the AVR and connect HDMI out to TV? And will that pass thru DD5.1 I am not using ARC.

The model 7000 is Roku TV. So, how sure are you about what they're giving away? Last promotion I saw was them giving away a Stick (model 3800). Might want to double check that offer you found.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jeffd0956
Level 7

I'll check that, but was I correct about how I install the device?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Yes, you can plug a Stick directly into an AVR. I've done that with mine before and it works fine. If space is a premium behind your AVR, you can ask Roku for a free HDMI extension cable (not very long) or purchase a longer one with an HDMI female connection on one end and a male connection on the other. Or, you can get a female to female HDMI adapter like I did and use any standard HDMI cable to move the Stick further away from the AVR.
The Stick uses WiFi Direct for the remote as does the Premiere+, so it doesn't have to be in your line of sight to use it. If they are offering a non-Stick version of the Roku, then you only need a normal HDMI cable, but the Premiere uses an IR remote so you have to be able to see it to use the remote. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos