Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcrkev

Using 2 Streaming Stick + in same room

Jump to solution

I have a 500sq ft great room with a living room and large bar. I just built it.  I have a tv for each section.

While I understand that I can never watch and listen to two separate programs at the same time,  My question is about watching the same program on both. We have Spectrum so I prefer to use that.

So far I own a Roku Streaming Stick + and it works great. I have since hung the second tv. Superbowl is this weekend and I'm having people over.

Can I watch the game on both tv's , at the same time , with both of the audios being timed with each other?  I have had cable tv where there was a delay between rooms in the house.

I haven't bought the second Roku yet but I plan to today.  I think I can use an hdmi splitter and use one Roku for both tv's but the cable would be very long and people will trip on it.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

p.s.  I'm sorry for the lengthy post.  I prefer to be as descriptive as possible up front when asking for help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Using 2 Streaming Stick + in same room

Jump to solution

@kcrkev wrote:

Thank you,

I only said I won't be able to watch two different programs because the audio would be battling each other .

I want to watch the same program on 2 Roku's in the same room at the same time.  Does that make sense?

Since each Roku will process the signal slightly differently, it's possible the audio could be slightly out of sync between the two watching the same channel. I get that in my home even with OTA broadcasts on different TVs watching the same channel. The simplest solution would probably just mute one TV and use the other for the room audio. Depending on how the game is going, some people might prefer one side of the room being quieter than the other. Either than, or keep the volume of each set low enough they don't compete with either other.

The only way to ensure both TVs are completely in sync is as you mentioned with an HDMI splitter. But yeah, I wouldn't want a cable snaked around the room. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

You have mixed up, with two roku you can have two different programs running at the same time. What you can't do is have the exact program running on two different rokus, sorry. 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
kcrkev

Jump to solution

Thank you,

I only said I won't be able to watch two different programs because the audio would be battling each other .

I want to watch the same program on 2 Roku's in the same room at the same time.  Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@kcrkev wrote:

Thank you,

Since each Roku will process the signal slightly differently, it's possible the audio could be slightly out of sync between the two watching the same channel. I get that in my home even with OTA broadcasts on different TVs watching the same channel. The simplest solution would probably just mute one TV and use the other for the room audio. Depending on how the game is going, some people might prefer one side of the room being quieter than the other. Either than, or keep the volume of each set low enough they don't compete with either other.

The only way to ensure both TVs are completely in sync is as you mentioned with an HDMI splitter. But yeah, I wouldn't want a cable snaked around the room. 

Dan

0 Kudos
kcrkev

Jump to solution

Perfect. Thank you.

0 Kudos
jimvrudy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

using wi-fi and wi-fi enabled tv's or tv's connected to wi-fi repeater stations...

you stream the game to a computer that can handle broadcasting the wi-fi to both tv's at the same time, or broadcasting to both streaming devices simultaneously, which would require a 3rd streaming device or other way of streaming via computer, which is quite possible

a roku or other device like that is not designed to use 2 screens but a computer is able to, if it is strong enough, with the lastest tech, or newish tech anyway, especially if doing 4k it should be newer, stronger (more expensive)

You would easily be able to stream from the computer to both streaming devices and then to the tv's or from a streaming device to the computer and then to both tv's if they are 'smart'.  They could also be directly connected from the computer like you say with two hdmi cables (no splitter required, with the right video card).

So, perhaps a friend has such a computer that could pitch hit for you?  Or you might.

Of course the obvious drawback is that one or both of the streaming devices are non-essential.  I'd say your best bet is the hdmi splitter and very long cable.  Or 2 equally long cables with the device in the middle.

Or buy a $1000+ computer.  (perhaps anywhere from $500 to $2000, depending on style preference and budget)

Me currently I'm wondering why I can't just use the roku service with my perfectly capable computer without buying a roku device.  And why can't i see prices?  I can't find any prices for anything, yet.

lol, i just might buy one, but... they always get you with the extra charges! (Joe Pesci voice)

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@jimvrudy wrote:

Me currently I'm wondering why I can't just use the roku service with my perfectly capable computer without buying a roku device.  And why can't i see prices?  I can't find any prices for anything, yet.

lol, i just might buy one, but... they always get you with the extra charges! (Joe Pesci voice)

Most of your suggestion would entail a lot of cash and some expertise in areas that most users wouldn't understand. Perhaps (s)he might, but it's still far to complex.

As to your question above, there is no such thing as a Roku "service". Roku devices (players and TVs) are merely the platform for other providers to create apps/channels and stream their product. Roku does offer one streaming channel of their own: "The Roku Channel" (yeah, imaginative name...). And it is available on a computer. https://therokuchannel.roku.com

Everything else is someone else's product. In some cases it might be available on a web page you can access from a computer. But the majority require using their app/channel, either on a Roku or possibly some other streaming device. 

Dan

jimvrudy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

yeah, so if i just want one channel...

i have a hefty computer that can do that ;#)

thanks

i'll probably just subscribe to some service (or not) and use my computer instead of roku, same thing really, minus the roku channel; although, it could potentially be a way to input the over the air channels to my computer?  does it have a way to connect an antenna for local channels?  i guess i'd probably just buy a tv-in card, don't need any box for that, no decoding

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@jimvrudy wrote:

yeah, so if i just want one channel...

i have a hefty computer that can do that ;#)

thanks

i'll probably just subscribe to some service (or not) and use my computer instead of roku, same thing really, minus the roku channel; although, it could potentially be a way to input the over the air channels to my computer?  does it have a way to connect an antenna for local channels?  i guess i'd probably just buy a tv-in card, don't need any box for that, no decoding

No, there is no Roku player with a TV tuner, nor any way to add one. There are Roku TVs of course, and the SiliconDust HD Homerun boxes that attach to your network and can be streamed to multiple devices. As far as OTA channels, there is an available channel on Roku players called Locast. It's actually available on virtually all streaming boxes, and even on your computer using a web browser. Locast.org

And as I said, you can watch The Roku Channel on a computer, again using a web browser. 

Dan

0 Kudos
jimvrudy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

yeah, that's not why i'm looking for a tv alternative or cable alternative

roku is the cable box, or you get a roku tv

i browsed their channel, maybe i just didn't click play

0 Kudos