Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Use of HDMI splitter with DVD and Roku connected to Receiver Input

Hi.  I'm a novice on stereo systems. Just purchased a roku premiere.  Presently I get my cable tv through my receiver by way of running HDMI line from the cable box to the HDMI input of my Yamaha V661 stereo receiver.  When I play the roku to get a premium channel, I can only get tv speaker sound.  When I want to switch from regular cable tv to the roku tv, I programmed a Harmony Touch Remote to shut off the stereo receiver and switch to tv speakers.  If I don't shut off the receiver, then I hear both the cable sound and tv/roku sound overlapping.  I don't get the same quality sound from using the roku.  Note that I have 2 HDMI inputs and one output on my receiver.  One HDMI input is from my cable box and the other from a blue ray dvd.  Can I use a splitter from the blue ray input to go to both the blue ray and the roku device? This would give me one receiver output to the tv, and one receiver input from the cable box, and one input split between the blue ray and the roku.  End result hopefully would be to use my stereo system for both cable tv and roku.  My thought is that the receiver would see both input sources as essentially 2 dvd  players, using either one as the active dvd player while the other dvd would be turned off.  I would choose which dvd to use through my Harmony remote.  This is a long question, but I don't know how to state easily.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 21

Re: Use of HDMI splitter with DVD and Roku connected to Receiver Input

@JerryL wrote:

Hi.  I'm a novice on stereo systems. Just purchased a roku premiere.  Presently I get my cable tv through my receiver by way of running HDMI line from the cable box to the HDMI input of my Yamaha V661 stereo receiver.  When I play the roku to get a premium channel, I can only get tv speaker sound.  When I want to switch from regular cable tv to the roku tv, I programmed a Harmony Touch Remote to shut off the stereo receiver and switch to tv speakers.  If I don't shut off the receiver, then I hear both the cable sound and tv/roku sound overlapping.  I don't get the same quality sound from using the roku.  Note that I have 2 HDMI inputs and one output on my receiver.  One HDMI input is from my cable box and the other from a blue ray dvd.  Can I use a splitter from the blue ray input to go to both the blue ray and the roku device? This would give me one receiver output to the tv, and one receiver input from the cable box, and one input split between the blue ray and the roku.  End result hopefully would be to use my stereo system for both cable tv and roku.  My thought is that the receiver would see both input sources as essentially 2 dvd  players, using either one as the active dvd player while the other dvd would be turned off.  I would choose which dvd to use through my Harmony remote.  This is a long question, but I don't know how to state easily.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

A splitter? No, that won't work. You either need an AVR with more HDMI inputs (preferable) or use an external HDMI switch. With the switch, you would connect the Roku and one of the other devices to the inputs, and connect the output to the HDMI input on the AVR. The problem with that is you have to manually change the switch between the inputs. But that is a way to inexpensively add HDMI inputs to your AVR. Some HDMI switches have a remote control, while others have a manual button or switch to change inputs. 

Of course, if you're planning on a 4K TV in the future (or maybe you even have one now), the odds are you would need to replace your AVR anyway. I've never seen an AVR with 4K support with less than 4 HDMI inputs. And for 4K you need an AVR that supports HDMI 2.0 or greater and HDCP 2.2. If your TV supports HLG or Dolby Vision, the AVR also needs to support those codecs. I looked up your AVR specs, and it's only HDMI 1.3, so no 4K support at all. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos