Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robertkjr3d
Channel Surfer

Upgraded to Roku Ultra 2022 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision, now colors are oversaturated

Jump to solution

My colors are super-over saturated when using the Roku.  I get the 'Dolby Vision' logo, when turning on.
Is this an issue that one of my devices actually can't handle it?

My equipment is:  Ultra Roku --> Onkyo TX-NR686 --> Vizio m506x-h9 50 Smart TV

I'm reading that people received an update, and boom now the colors are blown out.  At least that is what has happened in the past.

Also now that the sound is all 'ATMOS'.  Programs that are not actually 'ATMOS' do not switch automatically.  Where-as before, it would tell you what the program was actually broadcast in.  2-Channel, 5.1 Channel, 7.1 Channel.  Then the Receiver would handle accordingly.  Now everything is just 'ATMOS'.  And programs are only playing in 2-Channels, when it is actually 2-Channel program. (Like Star Trek: Voyager)  I know I may be able to switch the dial-mode, on my receiver, but why would it tell me the source is still 'ATMOS'?  Maybe I'm a little corn-fused.?!  I understand when I'm watching Ms-Marvel, that its the latest and greatest, the source is gonna be the latest and greatest.  (that should be a separate question.)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Upgraded to Roku Ultra 2022 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision, now colors are oversaturated

Jump to solution

By default (which was a really dumb idea by someone at Roku) there is a menu option that enables HDR at all times. If your TV is DV capable, then that full time HDR comes out as DV. Since non-DV/HDR content won't look right with this enabled, that's likely what you're seeing. Go into the settings, I believe it's under System/Advanced Display Settings , and turn that function off.

For your audio issue, change the audio setting to Passthrough, not Auto. Again, Roku made a dumb decision to have the Dolby encoder that is included in the Ultra 4800/4802 upconvert everything to DD+/Atmos in the Auto setting.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
atc98092

Re: Upgraded to Roku Ultra 2022 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision, now colors are oversaturated

Jump to solution

By default (which was a really dumb idea by someone at Roku) there is a menu option that enables HDR at all times. If your TV is DV capable, then that full time HDR comes out as DV. Since non-DV/HDR content won't look right with this enabled, that's likely what you're seeing. Go into the settings, I believe it's under System/Advanced Display Settings , and turn that function off.

For your audio issue, change the audio setting to Passthrough, not Auto. Again, Roku made a dumb decision to have the Dolby encoder that is included in the Ultra 4800/4802 upconvert everything to DD+/Atmos in the Auto setting.

Dan

robertkjr3d
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sounds like they need a Software-update that would change the defaults.  Offer to change the options (after the update...).  I will try your options above, but your answer looks golden.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Full time HDR is plain stupid, and the Onn 4K Media Player did the same thing. They finally released an update that fixed it, but mine will still on occasion get stuck in HDR mode. Good thing I only bought one to play with. The auto-passthough setting should be automatically selected when a player is connected directly to an AVR. I would expect the HDMI handshake protocol to be able to handle that, as well as recognizing what codecs the AVR supports. But it's a decision Roku made to ensure the less aware user doesn't have issues when they connect their device. Roku is expecting users with more capable equipment to be aware of this, but they don't provide the information clear enough. I only know from experimentation, as well as some other knowledgeable users here that discover stuff before I do. 😄

Dan

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

By “Onn 4K Media Player,” I’m assuming you’re referring to the AndroidTV box?  At one point Walmart sold Roku Streambars under the ONN brand.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, Onn is a Walmart house brand, same as Insignia being a Best Buy house brand. Walmart now gets Roku to build them specific models, such as the Ultra LT or the Ultra 4801, which as exclusive to Walmart. 

The Onn 4K Media Player is actually a pretty decent Android TV box. It's nowhere near as capable as my Nvidia Shield players, but for $20 it's really quite good. I'd take it before a Roku Express any day, and in a lot of cases it's even better than my best Ultras. But it can't handle lossless audio like the Shield can, so it would never be my primary player for my media server. 

Dan

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Best Buy also has a Dynex house brand. Therefore, some HDTV sets sold by Best Buy are branded Insignia and some are branded Dynex.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X