Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zwack
Binge Watcher

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution
@RokuTannerD wrote:

The limitation of the audio format being passed only occurs if you manually change a setting to limit this, such as the audio format output setting in Settings>Audio>, or enable a feature, such as 'Volume modes' which is only compatible with stereo audio. 
But if the Roku auto detects the TV not the sound the system you have to override the settings for Netflix to work.  Being able to override and say just send these formats would be an improvement.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Zwack Thanks for the suggestion.

For that type of setup scenario, it would be more beneficial to connect your Roku device directly to your A/V receiver, in order for the proper audio capabilities for your A/V receiver to be detected by your Roku device. We have setup tips for this here (#2): https://support.roku.com/article/208754498-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-streaming-player-for-surround-sou...

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:
I think you may have misunderstood what I was referring to.

No, I understood. I get that you said that the Roku would not downgrade the audio stream on it's own; but also implied in your statement was that the Roku will play surround if your AVR supports it. It is that implication that is not true. If I don't have the Roku set up in a certain way, then I won't get surround even though my equipment does support all the formats involved.

I had no idea that changing "Audio|HDMI" to "Digital Dolby, DTS" would eliminate the possibility of my system playing surround for a channel that only supplies Dolby+. True, I could have left the option as "Auto Detect", but I was testing things out, and since I had no idea what "Auto Detect" would do, I thought it prudent to set that option to something specific. The option I chose had the word "Dolby" in it, so it seemed reasonable to me that the Roku would pass thru whatever kind of Dolby it detected.

Again, I say the Audio options are confusing to the average user. Either tell me on the options screen what "Auto Detect" does, or give me an option for all 3 formats. Also I do think your statement (the one you thought I misunderstood), does imply that if your AVR supports Dolby+, the Roku will give you surround. In fact, the Roku does so only under certain circumstances.

0 Kudos
99-99
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi, So why does the amazon fire stick get 5.1 with amazon prime and the roku prime app doesn’t.  Both devices are feed through the TV to sound bar.

thanks.

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

99-99,

My Roku3 does allow me to hear 5.1 surround (Dolby+) from Amazon Prime. (But note, to do so I had to set the Roku's options properly.)

0 Kudos
Zwack
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don't have a separate a/v receiver.  I have a Roku Ultra, connected via HDMI to a Sony Bravia TV.  I also have a Sonos Beam connected via HDMI-ARC to the same TV.  The Sonos Beam has an HDMI port, an Ethernet port, and a power socket.

The Sonos Beam is connected wirelessly to two Ikea/Sonos Symfonisk speakers for surround.

I don't have an HDMI splitter but that would also limit connections in other ways (a multi-way HDMI switch?)

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Tanner,

Sorry for hitting you with all these posts at once....busy day I guess

Yesterday (1/7/20) at about 6pm PDT you replied to one of my prior posts regarding Hulu 5.1 on my Roku3(4200). You said:

"Your model of Roku device does support Dolby/DTS passthrough, however, the Hulu channel on Roku does not currently offer multi-channel surround sound audio formats. This is why you wouldn't get surround sound with Hulu."

Now I am confused. My question was whether my model of Roku is included as one of the "select models" of Roku that supports Hulu with 5.1. Hulu announced on Dec 12, 2019 that 5.1 sound is available on "select models" of Roku; but your reply here says I can't get Hulu with 5.1 sound because Hulu doesn't have 5.1 sound. Hulu and Roku don't seem to be in agreement.

Here is the relevant text on the Hulu website ( https://help.hulu.com/s/article/sound-quality?language=en_US 😞

---------------------------------
Audio quality on Hulu
Dec 12, 2019

With available audio enhancement options like 2.0 stereo audio and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround sound, you can crank up the volume on your supported devices and immerse yourself in the streaming experience.

Hulu with 5.1 surround sound

While Hulu’s collection of 5.1 supported content and devices continues to grow, at this time, it’s limited to a selection of Hulu streaming library shows and movies (which includes most Hulu Originals), on the compatible devices listed below.

Android TV (select models)
Chromecast*
Fire TV (3rd generation and Cube) and Fire TV Stick 4K
LG TV (WebOS 3.0 and above)
Mac Safari
Microsoft Edge
Nintendo Switch
PlayStation 3
PlayStation 4
Roku and Roku Stick (select models)
Samsung TV (select models)
VIZIO SmartCast TVs
Xbox One
------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Zwack
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD I checked that document and my setup is exactly as described in the HDMI-ARC section.  For some reason my Roku does not detect the formats accepted by the sound bar but those accepted by the TV.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@sgmfish Until recently, Hulu did not offer 5.1 audio in their channel, however, it appears this may have changed. I would recommend following up with Hulu directly for any inquiries regarding the audio/video content format offerings in their channel for your model of Roku device. Each channel provider controls and manages all content formatting and delivery within their channel, and will always be the best point of contact for any questions. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Zwack As I mentioned before, try using option #2 in the article I provided. This should solve the issue you're experiencing. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos