Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike463
Binge Watcher

Update 10.5 is causing me problems on Roku 2 (4210)

The update is buggy and unstable.

Roku Model #: 4210X2 (Roku 2)

Serial #: 5F461N226680

OS Ver: 10.5.0 /Bld: 4208-04

I posted in this thread about what I did to recover my Roku 2 to get Prime working again. However, after a few days, the device began acting up: it became slow to respond to remote inputs to various Roku menus (not app or program menus) and eventually locked up. I was shuffling my programming app tiles on the Home page when things began slowing down and eventually locked up; the unit became unresponsive and locked on whatever menu I was on at the time. There were no error messages of any kind. I have never gotten any error messages since 10.5 was installed. A couple of "soft resets", done by pulling the power plug, got the device working again. And yes, I checked the remote batteries to make sure they were healthy; both showing full charges.

Last night my device shut down after watching an hour of Prime programing. After successfully watching the stream, I went back to the Prime main program menu page. I left the room for about 5 minutes and when I came back, the animated "Roku" logo was on the screen, playing its little ditty like it does when waiting for something to happen; this was not the usual Roku screen saver. The device was unresponsive to the remote and the white LED on the front of the device was off. I looked at the network cable connection and the green and orange LED's were lit (the orange one blinking). So I left it that way for at least an hour; when I came back, nothing had changed; it was still unresponsive to the remote and the white LED was still off. I ended up doing a "hard reset" after which it my device seemed to be working. I left it at that and didn't do any further "testing".

This software upgrade is garbage; it is unstable and unreliable. While it might work for some Roku devices, it doesn't work in all of them you still support. IMHO, a global reversion to 10.0 should be done until you can work out all the bugs in this current version. 

0 Kudos