Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unplugged Roku and now it will not turn on

@allisonlcoffey In the US Roku players have a one year warranty, regardless of where it was purchased, unless it was a gray market device sold by an unauthorized dealer. Exactly what model number do you have, and where/when did you buy it?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
that_one

@allisonlcoffey wrote:

I unplugged my roku express this morning, while it was streaming a show. I went to plug it back in hours later and now the white light is not on. This happened to my last one. I had that one for two years and thought maybe I just blew something in it. I went into my daughters room to get hers, plugged it in and started watching a show, I accidentally unplugged the the cord to this new one and now the white light will not come on. I have pressed the reset button on both and have them both plugged in thinking they are resetting themselves, but I'm not sure. Does this mean I need to wait a while for them to reset or I did I ruin both of them by unplugging them?

i had the same problem just a little bit ago, but i had the power cord plugged into the usb on the tv, which wasn’t working, but i tried it on a usb box (for like a phone cord or something) and it turned on right away. hopefully this helps!

0 Kudos
skilled_sailor
Reel Rookie

I’m having the exact same problem right now has there been any solution? I have the same type of device. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @skilled_sailor

I hope you're doing well.

Could you tell us specifically about the issue you're experiencing? Please provide us as well the model number of your device. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself.

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I want to know this myself, which is why I'm posting here. Could it be that when you unplugged your Roku, it was in screensaver mode, so it may have been doing an update? The Roku may also update when one is watching a show, but I'm unsure if that's correct. I personally would like to know if it's bad to unplug the Roku when in screensaver mode, or does the Roku have ways to fix itself in which an interrupted install just reverts back to the prior install, and it begins to update itself again?

I always make sure that my Roku is on the home screen and not in the screensaver when unplugging it. Since I run mine off of a battery backup so that a power outage doesn't mess it up, and I turn my battery backup off when I'm asleep or out of the house so that a possible power outage doesn't drain my battery, I essentially unplug all my Roku's often and haven't run into this since the beginning of Roku. So it's possible the Roku was updating when unplugged, and that could have bricked it, or another possibility is that when you unplugged it from the outlet, it caused a surge if you unplugged slowly. Probably the best course of action moving forward is to buy a power strip, so when you need to unplug it, you can turn off the power strip. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. 

0 Kudos