Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allisonlcoffey
Reel Rookie

Unplugged Roku and now it will not turn on

I unplugged my roku express this morning, while it was streaming a show. I went to plug it back in hours later and now the white light is not on. This happened to my last one. I had that one for two years and thought maybe I just blew something in it. I went into my daughters room to get hers, plugged it in and started watching a show, I accidentally unplugged the the cord to this new one and now the white light will not come on. I have pressed the reset button on both and have them both plugged in thinking they are resetting themselves, but I'm not sure. Does this mean I need to wait a while for them to reset or I did I ruin both of them by unplugging them?

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Unplugged Roku and now it will not turn on

@allisonlcoffey 

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet with the provided cables and adapter?

Please feel free to send me a PM with this information along with your Roku account email address and your Roku device serial number on the device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RPLA

Similar problem for me. I unplugged my Roku Stick this morning and went to plug it back in. White light IS turned on, but my TV says "source not connected" for every input. So, it seems the power part of the power cord is working, but maybe not the cord itself? I also made sure my HDMI ports work using an HDMI cord and my laptop -- all good. I looked up other solutions online, including unplugging everything, no luck. I also reset my TV. No luck. Thoughts? Is the cord dead? Is the stick dead? I have only had the stick for about a year, so that's a pretty short life. And, this is the first time I unplugged it (I just read Atomic Habits about making bad habits harder, so figured one more step to binging TV was a good idea!), so it's not from over-unplugging. 

0 Kudos

Same happened to me this morning. I unplugged my roku ultra and a few hours later went to plug it back in and now it's not turning on. I followed any and all resets I know of along with ones I've found other people try and nothing is happening! I have toddlers and we live because this device please help!

0 Kudos
pampiress
Reel Rookie

0 Kudos
AnneHong
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue with a Roku 3. Was there a resolution to this issue for anyone?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AnneHong
Reel Rookie

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@AnneHong there are two versions of the Roku 3. One is almost 6 years old (model 4230) and the other is 8 years old (4200). It's entirely possible they finally broke. If there's no power light, you're certain the power supply is still good and it's connected to a functioning power outlet, you can try holding the recessed reset button for a minimum of 30 seconds and see if the device will reset. If it won't, it's really not putting any further effort into it. As I said, it's an extremely old player, and may finally have packed it in.

As a replacement for the Roku 3, I suggest either the Premiere or the Streaming Stick+. I don't recommend the Express, simply because the 4K capable versions just aren't that much more, and they seem to work better with WiFi as well. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
pampiress
Reel Rookie

They finally just replaced mine because it had but the final dust. I had to mail them my old device and they sent me a new one.

0 Kudos
allisonlcoffey
Reel Rookie

Roku basically said that they don't know why it won't turn back and that it couldn't possibly be a defect in that model. They were no help and sinceI didn't buy it from them,there was no refund or replacement. This happened to 3 of my devices. 

0 Kudos