Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Uneven volume. Anyone else annoyed by it?

"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
"mikebdoss" wrote:
I'm perfectly happy with the FCC limiting annoyances in broadcasting, just like they do for all the airwaves. 

It's a "feel good" law. The government passes a law that is almost impossible to enforce, and wastes time and money doing so. The only reason it passed was because it "sounded good". And there are no standard penalities if by chance someone is caught.

By the way, it was Congress that forced the FCC to "enforce" it; they also weren't happy about it.

And yet, the "loud commercial" problem on major networks seems to largely be solved. 

I can't say I have a problem (in general) with congress making a law, and having a government organization enforce it. That's pretty much what congress is supposed to do.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"mikebdoss" wrote:

I can't say I have a problem (in general) with congress making a law, and having a government organization enforce it. That's pretty much what congress is supposed to do.

That wasn't my point. Ironically, it isn't the point of this thread either. It started as a throw-away side comment by me...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I too am very disturbed by the very loud commercials that are being broadcast.  I live in an apartment and when watching TV
at night, it is disturbing even my neighbors.  Please cut the noise.  Everyone would be appreciative.. Very loud Best Western, IHOP, Duracell
just to name a few.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am still bothered by the loud commercials - is there anything that can be done?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I hate it! Can't believe this glitch hasn't been fixed by Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

It's not a glitch. It's the streaming providers not volume leveling their output, and most likely boosting the audio on commercials intentionally. Some Roku devices have the ability to attempt to level the volume. My Sharp Roku TV calls it TruVolume, but that might be specific to a Roku TV. You can find any potential options under the * menu under Sound Settings. You might not have that menu available unless something is actually playing.

But be aware that enabling any sound mode will force the device into stereo only out. You lose any multi-channel audio if you use them.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you very much! I went into my setting and clicked "leveling" and it works great!

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

And why even respond to the question regarding loud ads during TV viewing if you have a subscription without ads? You are absolutely zero help with this issue! Find a hobby!!
On the other hand I knew exactly what you're talking about bc my ads are extremely LOUD! There is a way to control it under settings by picking the nightime option. Hope that was helpful!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I’m having the same problem. I love the Roku channel (Roku app), so many things to watch, but the blaring volume during the ads/commercials is really bothersome. It’s sooooooo annoying. I grab my remote and turn it down, but then have to turn it back up when the show or movie comes back on. If I get distracted, sometimes I forget to turn it back up.

I realize it’s not regulated in these free apps, but dropping the volume by half would be an improvement! The loud volume isn’t making people buy what they’re selling, because we are too fixated on turning the volume down to even notice what’s being pitched!!!!

I don’t expected this to be resolved or some miracle fix. I’m just venting! I get it, this is the price I have to pay for using the free app. Oh well.💁🏻‍♀️
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes I'm very annoyed! It's driving me mad. Now I avoid watching ROKU. It's a same.
0 Kudos