Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donb
Level 7

Re: Unauthorized HDCP Content

Well sorry to say but the error has returned out of the blue.  It was working just fine ever since my last post. Smiley Sad  I haven't tried it on YouTube but its giving me the error with the Roku Media Player.  I have a lot of video content in MP4 format that I watch.  I have had no problems with these same videos until now.  I was watching them without incident and now this HDCP error is back to haunt me. Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
gandalf1369
Level 8

Sorry to hear that your problem is back.  Luckily (at least so far) I have not had the purple screen HDCP error for more than a month and a half now. In my last post I mentioned that I had done two things different : 1. not use the YouTube app on the Stick+ and 2. used the free HDMI extender from Roku to plug the Stick+ into the TV.  As an experiment I eliminated the HDMI extender from the equation about 2 weeks ago and just attached the Stick+ the way it was designed - directly into the TV.  I still avoid using the YouTube app on the Roku.  So far - HDCP purple screen free!!

I still can't say with certainty that the YouTube app was causing my problem but I'm pretty sure that it was at least part of the problem.  Hopefully, I'll continue to not see the damn purple screen!!
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

YouTube is working but not Roku Media Player.  But the next day, it was fine.  I think there might be some heat related issue going on.  Yeah I got that free extender from Roku.  Its just a very very short HDMI cable.  I was watching TV all day and the problem did not appear until late into the night.  I am really starting to think its heat related somehow.
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

Other information:

Model 3810X Roku Streaming Stick+
Serial number YH0097428140
Software version 8.0.1 build 4090-50
Uptime 23 hours 36 minutes

TV Model Sony KD50x690e
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

I mounted heatsinks to my Streaming Stick+.  Let's see if that helps keep the temperature down. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
heligo
Level 7

Got the same problem with my Streaming Stick. It's worked beautifully with my LG OLED55B7V since i bought it months ago.

It changed when i turned on "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour" on my TV and switched to "4K HDR 60Hz TV" on my Roku. Now this HDCP message pops up multiple times a day.

I've reverted my settings so we'll see if that resolves it but surely this has to be a Roku issue. If this continues it will simply become unusable and we'll have to go back to Apple TV or something.
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

Yeah I too had no problem at all with my old TV. It's only when I bought a new 4K TV this all started. I was running 720 and 1080 on my old TV though.

Maybe you can try all of the Roku display modes until you hit the one that works. That's what I had to end up eventually doing.
0 Kudos
heligo
Level 7

"donb" wrote:
Yeah I too had no problem at all with my old TV. It's only when I bought a new 4K TV this all started. I was running 720 and 1080 on my old TV though.

Thanks. Yeah in the Roku display settings it actually says that the 4K display options require HDCP, where as the 720 & 1080 options do not.

I'm convinced this is a Roku issue.
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

Yeah its definitely isolated to the Roku but I fixed mine by manually selecting the display mode.  Others had to use that free HDMI extension cable from Roku.
0 Kudos
heligo
Level 7

It's a shame because for the first time I have equipment that is capable of running maxed out (4K HDR 60fps) but i have to downgrade to 30fps. Roku need to acknowledge this.

PS. I'm actually a little ashamed at myself for making that complaint Smiley Happy
0 Kudos