Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gandalf1369
Level 8

Re: Unauthorized HDCP Content

donb, interesting . . . Think I'll try that and see what happens.  Just on a whim, I am currently using my Stick+ plugged into an HDMI extension cable that I got free from Roku last year.  I know it shouldn't make a difference but I figured since it was so easy to try why not!  So far for the past 2-3 days I have not had the HDCP issue . . . 
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

YouTube app is doing the error again.  I actually had my Streaming Stick+ set at 4K 60Hz TV and not 4K HDR 60Hz TV.  I wanted it set to 4K HDR 30Hz TV though.  So I switched it to 4K HDR 30Hz TV and the issue has returned.
0 Kudos
gandalf1369
Level 8

I am currently on my 6th or 7th day of being "HDCP Purple Screen" free.  As I had posted previously I am currently using the free HDMI extension cable offered by Roku to connect my Stick+.  I know this should make absolutely no difference in whether I get the HDCP error or not, but I figured I had nothing to lose.  I'll update this post if I do get the HDCP error or if it appears to have resolved the issue.

donb - One thing you might consider is using the YouTube app that is native to your TV if it has one.  From one of your previous posts it looked like the Roku YouTube app might be contributing to the problem.
0 Kudos
Jh1
Level 7

My biggest frustration is why a current setup worked for months and then, out of the blue, stopped working.

If this was caused by a ROKU update, there should be a fix from ROKUs end.
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

I fixed it by using 4K HDR 60Hz TV.

Streaming Stick+ 3810 kept picking 4K 30Hz TV display mode which kept getting the HDCP error.  I then tried 4K HDR 30Hz TV because it passed all Roku display checks but it kept getting the HDCP error as well.  I then tried 4K HDR 60Hz TV even though it didn't pass the last display check but I told it to Force it. 

Seems like Roku is having a hard time figuring out what display modes are compatible with my Sony KD-50X690E.  
0 Kudos
mike1597
Level 7

I have had this issue for more than a year.  I have 2 Sony 4k TVs, one has the Roku Ultra, the other has the stick+ and intermittently I get the purple screen on both.  Usually it happens on Hulu or DirecTV Now.  I don't use YouTube.  It seems random and happens about every 2 or 3 days.  A reboot fixes it but it is annoying.  I also use FireTV and it doesn't have this issue.  This does seem to be a Roku firmware issue related to Sony 4k TVs.
0 Kudos
joemysterio
Level 7

"donb" wrote:
I fixed it by using 4K HDR 60Hz TV.

Streaming Stick+ 3810 kept picking 4K 30Hz TV display mode which kept getting the HDCP error.  I then tried 4K HDR 30Hz TV because it passed all Roku display checks but it kept getting the HDCP error as well.  I then tried 4K HDR 60Hz TV even though it didn't pass the last display check but I told it to Force it. 

Seems like Roku is having a hard time figuring out what display modes are compatible with my Sony KD-50X690E.  

Hello @donb
I have the same TV. Have you tried using the roku on HDMI 1? Mine will not work at all on HDMI1. I get the HDCP error on everything and sound is non-existent at all. I tried so many times all the troubleshooting steps of unplugging, powering off, factory resetting, using different cables, nothing works. Roku support is absolutely ATROCIOUS they they spew the same crap. One even told me to just go buy a new TV. Seriously? Anyway, since I got mine through Amazon, they accepted my return and I got another to try. It worked right away and I had sound the whole way through the set up until it auto updated then it went dead again.
I think the current update for the Roku Stick+ is screwing things up. I think that despite whatever non-4k setting you have it at, the Roku still sends out HDCP 2.2 signals so my HDMI 1, which doesn't support 2.2, just stops working properly. It's SO freaking frustrating.
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

Yeah HDMI 1 doesn't work because it doesn't support HDCP. I figured that out quick enough. Then read the owners manual which confirmed it.

Well ever since I changed the Streaming Stick+ Display mode from Auto detect to 4K HDR 60hz TV, it's been working fine. Maybe I should knock on wood though.
0 Kudos
gandalf1369
Level 8

I have also had some luck in avoiding the HDCP purple screen.  As I had mentioned previously I currently have my Stick+ connected to my Sony TV with the free small HDMI extension cable that I got from Roku.  I have also stopped using the YouTube channel on the Stick+ and use the native YouTube app on the television instead (based on the post from donb about the changing resolutions while streaming from YouTube on the Roku).

Its has been almost 1 month since I got the HDCP purple screen, whereas before the above changes I would be getting it approximately 2-3 times per week.  I can't say if what I have done with YouTube and the HDMI cable are the reasons for not getting the purple screen but I plan on just leaving it as is for now.  Maybe in the future I'll experiment with just one and/or the other and see what happens . . .
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

Yeah I was using the YouTube app on the TV just fine but switching between the TV and Roku via multiple remotes wasn't in the cards for me. I switch between apps quite often. Also, the YouTube app on the TV is an old version and Sony informed me that I could not update it. That was a deal breaker for me.
0 Kudos