Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donb
Level 7

Unauthorized HDCP Content

I have a Streaming Stick+ 3810.  I was happily watching Badlands on Netflix without any issues.  Afterward, I decided to watch various YouTube videos.  I successfully watched a few and then when I started to watch one, I got the error Unauthorized HDCP Content.  See www.roku.com/hdcp.  Then every single video on YouTube was giving me that error.  Hmm.  So I went back to Netflix and started watching Badlands again and it was now giving me that error.
I don't get the error while scrolling around the content menus, just when I go to play a selection.
I also noticed that Roku was unable to auto detect my display type.  I couldn't even set it manually.  I have a Sony 4K TV using HDMI ARC input.  I eventually decided to restart the Streaming Stick+ and that fixed it.
Does anyone know what the heck happened there?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
45 Replies
makaiguy
Level 11

Re: Unauthorized HDCP Content

Rokus are just little single-purpose computers. When things get out of whack a reboot of puts them back to rights.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
gandalf1369
Level 8

I also have the Stick+ and have had the same thing happen to me.  I have a Sony XBR 900E television that has 4 HDMI ports that all support HDCP 2.2.  I tried a couple of different ports and also a new Stick+ (returned the old one) to no avail.  Happens about 2 times a week.  A restart of the Roku fixes it until next time.

Personally, I'm convinced that it's a Roku firmware or hardware issue. Most of the other people reporting this issue have a Roku device that is connected via a HDMI cable and apparently changing cables fixes it for them.  For us, since there is no cable involved, I think we are just stuck with it until Roku fixes the problem.
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

"gandalf1369" wrote:
I also have the Stick+ and have had the same thing happen to me.  I have a Sony XBR 900E television that has 4 HDMI ports that all support HDCP 2.2.  I tried a couple of different ports and also a new Stick+ (returned the old one) to no avail.  Happens about 2 times a week.  A restart of the Roku fixes it until next time.

Personally, I'm convinced that it's a Roku firmware or hardware issue. Most of the other people reporting this issue have a Roku device that is connected via a HDMI cable and apparently changing cables fixes it for them.  For us, since there is no cable involved, I think we are just stuck with it until Roku fixes the problem.

I have a newly purchased Sony KD-50X690E. 

The issue happens intermittently but is usually triggered by YouTube content.  I can play content that gets the error but then at other times that same content plays fine.  Then when the error occurs, the Streaming Stick+ is unable to detect the video type.  Gets stuck at the HDCP part forever.  The 4K part exhibits an exclamation point.  Resetting the device is the only cure.
0 Kudos
gandalf1369
Level 8

Also happens intermittentlyto me although I can't say that YouTube videos trigger it.  I've had it happen while trying to watch YouTube, FoxNewsGo, and other channels.  I have to say that this is the only real problem I have with the Roku Stick+ - a PIA but one that is still manageable. Just wish the Roku engineers would address this since it appears to be a problem that is fairly wide-spread.
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

If it's a hardware noise issue, they won't be able to fix it via firmware update. 

I was going to try FowxNewsGo but couldn't find the app.  Btw, why aren't you using the apps in your TV?  I'm not using mine only because they are out dated  and I can't update them individually because my TV is not Android.
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

Once again triggered by YouTube content, then everything else is affected up until I reset the Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810.

0 Kudos
gandalf1369
Level 8

I mostly use the Roku Stick+ rather than the Sony's built-in apps.  I find the Roku interface much more responsive than the Sony Android one.  Additionally, since I tend to watch FoxNews during the day, the app on the Roku is not as, shall I say, "buggy" as the one on Android.  The Android one continues to broadcast the audio even after exiting out of the app - no such problem on the Roku.
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

"gandalf1369" wrote:
I mostly use the Roku Stick+ rather than the Sony's built-in apps.  I find the Roku interface much more responsive than the Sony Android one.  Additionally, since I tend to watch FoxNews during the day, the app on the Roku is not as, shall I say, "buggy" as the one on Android.  The Android one continues to broadcast the audio even after exiting out of the app - no such problem on the Roku.

I had been thinking about the Android version (Sony Support implied it would fix my issues) but it seems to be the same as what I am already experiencing (bugginess).  I use the Streaming Stick+ instead of the built-in apps for the same reason as you.  Thanks for the information!
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

Short Version Fix:
1. Restart Roku
2. Change Display type to 4K HDR 60Hz TV

Long Version:
I isolated the occurrences to the YouTube app.  I was starting to notice that YouTube would have certain lags when I tried to play videos.  The screen would be blank during those lags (I had screen info banner off).  I decided to turn screen info banner on and noticed during those lag times, the screen resolution was changing between content.  Sometimes in the middle of content (variable?)  Hmm. 

I then enabled YouTube app Stats for nerds.  While I was playing videos, I then noticed video type changing.  Especially during commercials.   YouTube would be at 4K, then a commercial would show at 1080 or 720, then the content would be 1080 mostly.  The commercials are the ones that changed type the most.  Hmm. 

On a whim, I decided to change the Roku Display Type  from Auto detect to 1080.  Hmm not getting the error anymore.  I then changed it to 4k 30Hz TV.  Still no error.  Eventually got it to 4K HDR 60Hz TV and its been fine ever since.

I think the Sony TV and Roku were having problems with regards to switching content resolution so often.  I do remember the times when the content would not switch as much, all would be well.  Luckily Auto detect was able to be unselected.
0 Kudos