Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Supertech
Reel Rookie

Ultra remote headphone audio issues

Jump to solution

Is this problem solved? I have similar issue. I hear both static and sometime choppy sound. On of the reason I bought Roku Ultra was that the headphone use from the remote. Unfortunately, I only tested the remote couple of months after buying it from Amazon, otherwise I would return it. It is a very annoying problem.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Supertech
Reel Rookie

Re: Ultra headphone issues

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, your suggestions are not practical. I already know that batteries are not an issue. I am not going to go and change broadcast frequency or anything else in my router. I have many wireless devices at home, and they are working flawlessly. I think Roku has a bad product here.

For anyone else who is reading this, the only thing worked for me is the following (although not most convenient). Roku has an App for iPhone. Download that app and use it as a remote control. And the app has wireless Bluetooth option. Then you can use your Bluetooth headphones. Static is gone.

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Supertech Thanks for the note here. There are a few things you can do to help resolve this type of issue. 

1. Replace the batteries in the remote. Lower power can sometimes cause this time of issue. 

2. Ensure that your wireless router is broadcasting a 5GHz wireless network to help reduce wireless interference that can occur rom nearby wireless networks. 

3. Try changing the wireless broadcast channel on your wireless router. This can also help reduce interference and improve your device's connection. Your ISP or wireless router manufacturer can assist you with this. 

Keep us posted with how it goes! 

Cheers,

Tanner

spike94010

Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue. I have tried different earphones but get the same scratchy and frequent breaks in sound.

Spender
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I found the answer on Reddit, someone posted tap home 5 times, up once, rewind twice and fast forward twice, it works.

Supertech
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, your suggestions are not practical. I already know that batteries are not an issue. I am not going to go and change broadcast frequency or anything else in my router. I have many wireless devices at home, and they are working flawlessly. I think Roku has a bad product here.

For anyone else who is reading this, the only thing worked for me is the following (although not most convenient). Roku has an App for iPhone. Download that app and use it as a remote control. And the app has wireless Bluetooth option. Then you can use your Bluetooth headphones. Static is gone.

rocketman99
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

oops.   Sure enough, just weak batteries.    Surprising the difference a new set made.

None of the other weird reset combos on the internet worked.   Get new batteries.

0 Kudos
ja3600
Reel Rookie

Re: Ultra remote headphone audio issues

Jump to solution

Same issue here, the remote headphone audio quality pops and drop out frequently unless remote is only about 1 foot away from base unit.  Nothing suggested in thread worked, so will be returning product.  My older Roku Premire+ model 4630X works just fine in the exact same location. Interestingly, I paired the new remote with my old Roku and audio works just fine. The issue appears to be with Ultra the base unit itself, not the remote. 

ja3600
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue here with the new Roku Ultra I just purchased and setup. The remote headphone audio quality pops and drops out constantly unless remote is only about 1 foot away from base unit (new one I just purchased is a model 4670X).  Nothing suggested in thread worked and I even use a wired Ethernet connection.  My older Roku (model 4630X) works just fine in the exact same location. Interestingly, I paired the new remote with my old Roku and headphone audio works just fine. Thus, issue appears to be with Ultra the base unit itself, not the remote.   Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
FlaEsteban

Re: Ultra remote headphone audio issues

Jump to solution

I have the same problem and I think the solution is BS.  With this problem you now have to configure your phone to listen through headphones?  I cannot recommend ROKU to anyone. 

Dae

Jump to solution

It worked for me... Tried new batteries, resetting, etc.  Then the tapping home 5 times, up, rewind twice, forward twice... it reset the remote and after a restart the headphones work again.