Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Ultra 4661R PCM only output

"guitarboy" wrote:
That article is for Canada, which had the Roku Ultra 4640, not the Ultra 4660. See the "en-ca" in the URL?

Well that explains why we're seeing different content. The Roku site forces a redirect to the Canadian pages, even if you remove the "en-ca" in the URL. I'll try to look at the original page tomorrow. To further confuse the matter, the 4640 was the last Ultra model sold in Canada, but the Ultra no longer appears to be available in Canada at all - I imported mine from a US dealer on Amazon.

If you want a 4640 in Canada, have you tried Amazon's Canada site? Some show up when I search that site. Note that 4660/4661 devices show up, too. They're the ones that say "Not intended for use in Canada." Other 4660/4661 may not say that, but as you said, Roku never sold that device there.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
guitarboy
Level 9

The 4640 is available from some sellers in Canada.  Before I go through the hassle of returning the 4660, I'd like some assurances that the 4640 works well with Netflix.  @NightHawk or anyone else who has the 4640?
Level 16

"guitarboy" wrote:
The 4640 is available from some sellers in Canada.  Before I go through the hassle of returning the 4660, I'd like some assurances that the 4640 works well with Netflix.  @NightHawk or anyone else who has the 4640?

I've cancelled my Netflix, but as of last week I had no issues with Netflix on my 4640. Note that I run the Roku into a Yamaha AVR, so all audio is bitstreamed to the receiver for processing. But the 4640 is absolutely capable of converting DD+ to DD. When I was traveling last year I stayed in a hotel for an extended stay. I took my Ultra with me and connected it to the hotel TV without any problems. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

"guitarboy" wrote:

Yes my Roku Ultra 4640 I got thru amazon a couple months ago works with Netflix and DD+ 5.1 audio, it converts it to DD 5.1 thru the optical audio port to my older Denon receiver.
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos
GPeaslee
Level 7

I just tried the Ultra 4661RW to see if it would pass DD 5.1 to my Emotiva XMC-1. Unfortunately it does not. I had previously tried the Streaming Stick (#3800RW), and it does not pass DD 5.1 either. I tried both plugging into the XMC-1 HDMI input and plugging directly into the TV HDMI input with an optical cable back to the XMC-1 for sound. No luck either way (TV is a Panasonic ZT60). It is not clear researching here and elsewhere if there is a solution. I saw one comment about using the 2016 Roku Ultra that has an optical output. This would be easy to do, but I would like to confirm that it will work to get the DD 5.1 signal into the XMC-1. Can someone from Roku or someone on the forum confirm this will work?

P.S. - Emotiva tech support thinks the Roku is not sensing it is plugged into a DD 5.1 processor. Therefore it defaults to PCM 2.0.The Roku can be forced into DD 5.1 mode in the Audio settings, but the XMC-1 only has auto detection.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"GPeaslee" wrote:
I just tried the Ultra 4661RW to see if it would pass DD 5.1 to my Emotiva XMC-1. Unfortunately it does not. I had previously tried the Streaming Stick (#3800RW), and it does not pass DD 5.1 either. I tried both plugging into the XMC-1 HDMI input and plugging directly into the TV HDMI input with an optical cable back to the XMC-1 for sound. No luck either way (TV is a Panasonic ZT60). It is not clear researching here and elsewhere if there is a solution. I saw one comment about using the 2016 Roku Ultra that has an optical output. This would be easy to do, but I would like to confirm that it will work to get the DD 5.1 signal into the XMC-1. Can someone from Roku or someone on the forum confirm this will work?

P.S. - Emotiva tech support thinks the Roku is not sensing it is plugged into a DD 5.1 processor. Therefore it defaults to PCM 2.0.The Roku can be forced into DD 5.1 mode in the Audio settings, but the XMC-1 only has auto detection.

The 4640 and 4660/4661 are very different devices and have different capabilities. See the entire thread above.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
GPeaslee
Level 7

Thanks DBDukes. The XMC-1 decodes DD 5.1, DD Plus, and Dolby True HD, so I don’t need help with conversion. What I need is to get these formats to pass through into the XMC-1. So my question is will the 4640 or any other Roku model pass these formats through the optical output to the XMC-1, since they are not being passed through HDMI?
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 9

some tvs will convert DD+ to DD5.1 but you need to tell the Roku that the TV is able to do this since most older TVs don't tell that to devices plugged into them. If you set the digital audio output setting in the Roku to DD+, the Roku will send DD+ to the TV. And then the TV might convert that to DD and send it out the optical port of the TV. That said I just looked up the XMC-1 and see that it should be able to handle DD+ just fine. When the Roku is plugged into one the inputs of the XMC-1 it should read the audio capabilities in the edid data and do the correct thing. Make sure you have the digital audio out setting of the roku set to Auto.
0 Kudos
GPeaslee
Level 7

Thanks, RokuDale. I tried both things you suggested, but they didn’t work. No matter whether I plug the Roku device into the XMC-1 or into the TV, it is not passing the surround format to the XMC-1. I have tried every combination of settings but no luck. All I get is PCM 2.0. As per Emotiva, there seems to be a handshake issue between the Roku and the XMC-1. So can I use an older Roku model with an optical output to solve this problem?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I did some reading on DD+ this morning, and while it appears that DD+ is possible over an optical connection, it's dependent on the audio bitrate, something we have no idea what values are in use. So I wouldn't be surprised if the TV is just ignoring any DD+ signal as non-compatible. If you can find an Ultra 4640, then you can use its optical out, plus it has a DD encoder so it can convert DD+ to DD. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos