Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ultra 4661R PCM only output

RokuDale - Thank you so much.  Volume Leveling was on. Finally figure were it was in Options during playback.  Prime, Google Play, Vudu all are now working correctly and playing Dolby Digital when applicable.  I am surprised when I called Roku support they did not offer this solution.   I really appreciate you taking time to address my issue.
0 Kudos
guitarboy
Level 9

Where did you find the Night Mode and Volume Leveling settings?  I have a new 4660 Ultra and I'm not seeing those settings anywhere.

In my case, the 4660 is connected to a soundbar via HDMI.  The soundbar decodes Dolby Digital and DTS but not Dolby Digital Plus. Both DD and DTS are passed through correctly, but DD+ is downmixed to PCM.  Apparently this is change from previous versions of the Ultra that converted DD+ to DD.  

Can someone on this thread confirm that the Ultra 4660 is able to passthrough DD+ to a DD+ capable receiver without converting it to stereo?

"guitarboy" wrote:
Where did you find the Night Mode and Volume Leveling settings?  I have a new 4660 Ultra and I'm not seeing those settings anywhere.

In my case, the 4660 is connected to a soundbar via HDMI.  The soundbar decodes Dolby Digital and DTS but not Dolby Digital Plus. Both DD and DTS are passed through correctly, but DD+ is downmixed to PCM.  Apparently this is change from previous versions of the Ultra that converted DD+ to DD.  

Can someone on this thread confirm that the Ultra 4660 is able to passthrough DD+ to a DD+ capable receiver without converting it to stereo?

On mine, while watching a Channel hit the Options * button and you should see the Options on the Left Side of the screen.  Go to Volume Mode and turn it Off. That fixed if for me.  
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@guitarboy
Yes. The Roku Ultra (model 4660) will pass DD+ audio through to a A/V receiver that supports DD+ decoding. You can see more here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754498-how-to-set-up-your-roku-streaming-player-for-surround-sou...
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
guitarboy
Level 9

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
@guitarboy
Yes. The Roku Ultra (model 4660) will pass DD+ audio through to a A/V receiver that supports DD+ decoding. You can see more here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754498-how-to-set-up-your-roku-streaming-player-for-surround-sou...

Thanks Tanner.  And is it correct that DD+ conversion is a hardware feature so it can never be fixed in the 4660?  The support article should be updated to remove the claim that the Ultra will convert DD+ to DD.

Note: The Roku Ultra* provides an additional option to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. This allows you to connect your Roku Ultra to an AVR, sound bar, or TV that supports Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus, and still hear the audio in surround sound.

i did read that support article before purchasing the Ultra, and that statement was one of the factors that pushed me to the Ultra vs. other STBs or Roku models .  Previously I was using a combination of a smart TV for Netflix and other streaming services and a DLNA STB for home media.  The smart TV was able to convert DD+ to DD but had other issues, and I was tired of dealing with DLNA's transcoding problems. The Roku offered a simplified, all in one solution, but now I'm back to square one.
Community Manager

To help clarify, the Roku Ultra (model 4640) does transcode DD+ to DD audio. We do denote the specific model number in the article, but I appreciate the feedback here. 

I'll be sure to share your thoughts with our team for future considerations. 

Thanks again,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

"guitarboy" wrote:
"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
@guitarboy

Thanks Tanner.  And is it correct that DD+ conversion is a hardware feature so it can never be fixed in the 4660?  The support article should be updated to remove the claim that the Ultra will convert DD+ to DD.

Note: The Roku Ultra* provides an additional option to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. This allows you to connect your Roku Ultra to an AVR, sound bar, or TV that supports Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus, and still hear the audio in surround sound.

i did read that support article before purchasing the Ultra, and that statement was one of the factors that pushed me to the Ultra vs. other STBs or Roku models .  Previously I was using a combination of a smart TV for Netflix and other streaming services and a DLNA STB for home media.  The smart TV was able to convert DD+ to DD but had other issues, and I was tired of dealing with DLNA's transcoding problems. The Roku offered a simplified, all in one solution, but now I'm back to square one.

In that support article it actually specifies the Roku Ultra 4640X is the only one with the DD+ conversion capability which is correct.  However the current new Roku Ultra model is different 4660 or 4661 which lacks the DD+ conversion hardware.  So I learned from that article that I needed to order the older Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model) from amazon to get that capability a couple months ago.
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos
guitarboy
Level 9

In that support article it actually specifies the Roku Ultra 4640X is the only one with the DD+ conversion capability which is correct.  

To help clarify, the Roku Ultra (model 4640) does transcode DD+ to DD audio. We do denote the specific model number in the article, 

I am totally missing something.  I don't see an Ultra model number mentioned anywhere in the article.  Are we talking about the same article
Level 10

"guitarboy" wrote:
In that support article it actually specifies the Roku Ultra 4640X is the only one with the DD+ conversion capability which is correct.  

To help clarify, the Roku Ultra (model 4640) does transcode DD+ to DD audio. We do denote the specific model number in the article, 

I am totally missing something.  I don't see an Ultra model number mentioned anywhere in the article.  Are we talking about the same article

That article is for Canada, which had the Roku Ultra 4640, not the Ultra 4660. See the "en-ca" in the URL?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
guitarboy
Level 9

That article is for Canada, which had the Roku Ultra 4640, not the Ultra 4660. See the "en-ca" in the URL?

Well that explains why we're seeing different content. The Roku site forces a redirect to the Canadian pages, even if you remove the "en-ca" in the URL. I'll try to look at the original page tomorrow. To further confuse the matter, the 4640 was the last Ultra model sold in Canada, but the Ultra no longer appears to be available in Canada at all - I imported mine from a US dealer on Amazon.