Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultra 4661R PCM only output

I have the new Ultra 4661R connected to a new Sony STRDH590 Receiver and the Receiver connected to a new Sony XBR 65X900F TV.  When using Roku, regardless of what I am watching the receiver Display says PCM.   I have tried movies on Roku Amazon Prime, Vudu, etc and always shows PCM.  I can watch the same movie on Amazon Prime on the Sony Android TV Amazon Prime app and it shows DD.  I have tried every setting in the Ultra Setting Audio and nothing changes.    My other devices (Tivo and XBox) connected to the Receiver work fine and display DD.  Am I doing something wrong?
0 Kudos
33 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Ultra 4661R PCM only output

How is it hooked up? Does you receiver have a Dolby Digital+ decoder? It needs a DD+ decoder to play surround on most if not all Roku channels.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

The manual for the Sony STR-DH590 says it does support Dolby Digital Plus and outputs it as 5.1.  Everything from Roku Ulta displays Linear PCM as input from Roku on STR-DH590 Display

The digital audio formats that this receiver can decode depend on the digital audio output jacks of the connected device. This receiver supports the following audio formats.
Dolby Digital (“DD”) 5.1 COAXIAL/OPTICAL, HDMI
Dolby Digital Plus (“DD+”)1) 7.12) HDMI
Dolby TrueHD (“DTHD”)1) 7.12) HDMI
DTS (“DTS”) 5.1 COAXIAL/OPTICAL, HDMI
DTS 96/24 (“DTS 9624”) 5.1 COAXIAL/OPTICAL, HDMI
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
(“DTSHD HR”)1) 7.12) HDMI
DTS-HD Master Audio (“DTSHD MA”)1) 7.12) HDMI
DTS Express (“DTS EXP”) 5.1 HDMI
DSD (“DSD”)1) 5.1 HDMI
Multi Channel Linear PCM (“PCM”)1) 7.12) HDMI
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

How is the Ultra hooked up to the receiver? HDMI only?

I'm out of my league troubleshooting this, as I haven't used my receiver in a while, sorry..

I know it's been discussed here before though- hopefully someone can help. Probably a setting on your receiver.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos

It is connected to HDMI port Media Box on the Receiver.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Have you tried moving the Roku to a port you know is working surround? Maybe it's a port-specific problem.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos

Yes, I move it to the one with the switched it and the Xbox.  Xbox shows DD Roku PCM
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Do you have Volume leveling or Nightmode enabled?
0 Kudos

Night Mode is not enabled. I do not see Volume Leveling.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

If you have just disabled Night Mode or Volume Leveling, please reboot the Roku and try the test again.
0 Kudos