Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nomad07
Level 10

Ultra 2020 quits to main screen or crashes and reboots on most apps.

The Roku 2020 Ultra is nothing but problems.

Disney + crashes to main screen

SyFy states buffering, freezes, and crashes Roku then reboots Roku

HBOmax crashes to main screen

Boomerang crashes to main screen

Hulu crashes to main screen

List goes on, and on...

Happens every day at least once for each app. Some days many times.

Happens with multi Roku 2020 Ultra units, on multiple brands and production years of 4K TVs. This DID NOT happen with the 2019 Ultra, or any other prior version of Ultra.

Roku just states to talk to the app developer's. Again app's work fine on anything besides 2020 Ultra.  

6 Replies
unholyknight
Level 7

Re: Ultra 2020 quits to main screen or crashes and reboots on most apps.

Same thing has been happening for me. Every app often buffers for long periods of time until it becomes unresponsive and crashes.

This was not an issue on my previous Roku Ultra (2017) but is an issue on my new 2020 model.

Crashes happen much more frequently if I use pause, rewind, or fast forward controls in any app. I've tried a factory reset as well which didn't help.

nomad07
Level 10

Exactly. Happens daily. Usually multiple times. Pretty much every app and I have 50 apps so it’s pretty far reaching. 

0 Kudos
ThriftyHill
Level 7

Same issue as original poster.  Super frustrating.  No issues with apps on my original Roku Ultra.  I only got the new version for the Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos support.  Please fix this Roku

0 Kudos
dj8
Level 7

The 2020 Ultra needs fixed. I got it at launch and dealt with all apps consistently crashing back to the home screen and Philo not fast forwarding. Two weeks ago, I switched back to my 2018 Ultra and while it's slower, it works without kicking me back to the home screen.

Coolcat
Level 7

I have this same exact issues tried factory reset and everything. I even got best buy to replace it and the new one does the same exact thing. This is insane.. roku you have to fix this... this is ridiculous. My friends does the same thing too. We both bought ours for dobly vision... definitely regretting my purchase now. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing issues with the Roku Ultra 2020, please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator