Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sn8keeyes19
Level 8

UHD surround sound not working

I have a TCL Series 5 Roku TV connected to Onkyo TX-NR686 Receiver via HDMI ARC. Also have digital optical cable connected too.  Problem I am having is if I watch a movie on Vudu in UHD the surround speakers do not work.  If I change the playback in Vudu to HDX they come alive.  My Receiver will play in Dolby Atmos.  Anyone have similar issues and how did you fix it?  I have changed audio settings.  Surround does not work on Dolby Digital Plus but does work on Dolby Digital, DTS. Does Roku not support Dolby Digital Plus?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: UHD surround sound not working

You should talk to this guy; @atc98092 

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Yes, Roku supports DD+. However, optical doesn't support it with Atmos, and might not send DD+ via optical at all. You have to use ARC only to get DD+ with Atmos. Since you have both ARC and optical connected, you are likely sending your audio via optical. Disconnect the optical cable and leave your audio setting to Auto. 

I can't say for sure what settings you need to use on the TV or your Onkyo, I use Yamaha AVRs and my Roku TVs are stand-alone, so I've never played with the settings for audio output. But my Roku Ultra is connected to an AVR (naturally, not via ARC just regular HDMI) and provides DD+ with Atmos no problem.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
sn8keeyes19
Level 8

So you are not using ARC at all?  The instructions on my receiver say to use ARC on both but all my other connections use 4k HDMI 2.2.  Which connection do you have the HDMI running to on your receiver?  The only thing I have plugged to my receiver is the Roku TV.  I will mess around today and see what I get.  I will remove the optical cable and test. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@sn8keeyes19 wrote:

So you are not using ARC at all?  The instructions on my receiver say to use ARC on both but all my other connections use 4k HDMI 2.2.  Which connection do you have the HDMI running to on your receiver?  The only thing I have plugged to my receiver is the Roku TV.  I will mess around today and see what I get.  I will remove the optical cable and test. 

On my Roku TVs, no I am not using ARC. I do use ARC on two TVs connected to my Yamaha AVRs, but they are not Roku TVs. As to which port to use, my Sharp Roku TV has HDMI port 1 labeled as the ARC port, so that would be the one that should be connected to the ARC HDMI output port on your AVR. If your AVR has two HDMI outs, make sure you're using the one with ARC, as they both don't have it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
frankybaby3001
Level 7

Ultra Surround Sound Works Sometimes

I have a Roku Ultra connected to a surround sound receiver with an HDMI cable. The surround sound works for a few weeks then only plays stereo until a system reset is done, and the surround sound will work again. How do I get my Roku to play surround sound for longer than a couple weeks without having to do a system reset.

Tablo that works with Roku told me the problem is Roku's and doing a system reset will fix the problem and they are correct so I hope Roku can fix the problem. The person at tech support told me to contact my sound bar manufacture. I don't even have a sound bar.

0 Kudos