Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stevcor

Re: Tv screen keeps going black

Have you found a fix for this?

0 Kudos

I had the same problem with the display going black randomly.  Previously, the only way I got around it was restarting my Roko express everytime I wanted to watch something.

This morning I went through my System Settings and under display selected 16:9 aspect ratio.  The problem instantly stopped.

Maybe something in one of the recent updates is confusing the device and would make since as to why the display keeps trying to correct itself.

Your milage may vary but as someone who was incredibly frustrated by this, the fix worked for me.

0 Kudos

i've experienced the same.try settings-system-advanced system settings-advanced display settings-turn it to off.please share if this is a fix

0 Kudos

Mine just flashed like mad.  It got hot I pulled the power and let it cool off.  Plugged it back in and non stop flashing on and off, I was getting hot too!  I got a adapter extender hdmi for roku and no dice still done it.  I had this running from my hdmi switch.  I thought wait a **bleep** minute.  My apple tv refused to work with it as screen stayed black.  So I ran it straight from my hdmi port on tv it stopped.  It's possible your port on tv is the culprit if you don't have a switch.  Thing is my fire stick works fine and never gets hot or flicks the screen.  I hope this helps.  Also my switch was working till the **bleep** roku got hot anyway.  I suspect culprit is the **bleep** roku pulls to much power off the port who knows.  Try swapping your roku for another hdmi port.

0 Kudos
TLo

Mune was already set to that so no luck 😞

0 Kudos
Remnant919

I regret roku, I bought the express to replace the stick because I thought it went bad, but I still have issues with the constant black screens … any idea why? I think I’ll go back to my firetv 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Remnant919

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you're running into? Does the problem only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device? Also, please let us know what troubleshooting steps you've done so we see what steps we should take next. 

Furthermore, if the issue only happens on one channel, you can try the steps in this Support article: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

We look forward to hearing from your shortly.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MargaD

My Roku Stick + that is 1.5 years old just started doing this a few nights ago. It does not matter what channel I try to watch. There is no audio during the black-out. I unplugged from the TV to allow it to cool off and did not use again until the next night. I was able to view streaming from several different channels for about 3 hours before it started blacking out again. Is there a history of failure of the stick from overheating? 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @MargaD

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community! 

To make sure we're on the same page, are you getting an overheating message when using your Roku? If so, we recommend following the suggestions in this Support article: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

However, if you are just experiencing screen blackout, try the below troubleshooting: 

1. The video cable is not connected properly or the cable is faulty
    • Check that the video cable is firmly connected to the back of your Roku player and to the HDMI or composite connector on the TV. If you have a Roku Streaming Stick, then make sure it is firmly connected to the HDMI connector on your TV.
    • If you can, check to see if you have a faulty cable by connecting your Roku player with a different cable.
  2. There is a problem with the TV
    • If you can, try connecting the Roku stick to a different input on the TV to see if the problem is with the connector on the TV.
    • If you can, try connecting the Roku stick to a different television to see if the problem is with your Roku player or the TV.

Please keep us posted!

All the best, 
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
lisaj2

I have this same problem....it's been happening for about a month and usually several times in a day. No rhyme or reason, stops goes to black settings screen for tv hdmi. I hit enter and it goes right back to playback screen (but frozen) and then hit enter again and it picks up. This is totally annoying! I've been having intermittent issues with my Roku for a few months. I have a Roku stick and it is about 2 years old....never experienced issues in the past. How do I resolve this issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos