Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jayden756

Tv screen keeps going black

My screen goes black for a split second then goes back to normal is there any way to fix this.

34 REPLIES 34
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Tv screen keeps going black

Does this occur when going to and/or returning from commercials?  This is probably caused by the commercials being at a different resolution and/or frame rate than the program you're watching.  The Roku/TV combination must reset its video parameters for each such transition and this can cause a short blackout.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Jayden756

No I can even have my tv on the menu where I pick which hdmi I want to use it just goes black on there and I dont know why.

Lindajo20

Mine is doing the same thing. At first we thought it was the cable, but tried several cables and ports. It still does it. HELP Please!

0 Kudos
vfjames1
Streaming Star

TV screen keeps going black

My screen goes black after a few minutes but only on the MGM channel. That is the only channel I like to watch on Roku so it is very annoying. When I exit back to the menu and go right back in it starts playing again but after a few minutes it goes black again and will stay that way until I exit out and go back in. Why does this do this. I have restarted a few times and it is not only doing it on one Roku, I have two units connect and it is doing it on both. The Roku Express 3930.

Tosha
Reel Rookie

Did you find a solution? Mine is doing the same during shows on any app. When on spectrum app keeps asking if I'm watching, comes on as soon as I turn to a channel,  then continues to ask every 1 minute. I have to keep pressing the ok button or it will turn off.

0 Kudos
vfjames1
Streaming Star

Wow! That is more annoying than the screen going black. It will play for about 4 hours then every 1/2 to 1 hour after that it goes black. I have to back out to the main menu and select the channel again and it comes back on. So annoying. No I haven't have any replies about this yet. As soon as I get a response I will let you know.

Tosha
Reel Rookie

It is, and I haven't gotten any response to my issue, aside from yours. Nothing from Roku.  Very irritated! Thanks for your response,  please let me know when you get a response from them. 

0 Kudos
vfjames1
Streaming Star

I wanted to let you know that I got a reply from Roku. They said to remove the channel from my home screen, reboot the system and then add it back. The problem is the channel I am having issues with is within the Roku channels and I don't have the option to remove it. I am waiting to hear back from them regarding my question whether I should remove the entire Roku icon and then put it back. 

Just wanted to keep you updated.

aaron9100

I would love to know!! I have two roku's and they both go black for a split second about every 10 seconds, sound dosen't skip a beat.. It is pretty much unwatchable, the only reason I haven't switched is because I have Xfinity and Roku is the only provider that has their app... In my opinion Roku is not worth the money!