Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlleno
Level 7

Troubleshooting hdr pic quality

Hi all is this the right place to discuss HDR pq? I've got the dreaded washed out colors on my TV when streaming h.265 content to the roku ultra. Yes the TV is uhd although roku claims it detects 4k uhd 30 hz only (the TV is not 60hz 4k). Just want to know where to start. Yes 4khd is enabled on the Samsung un65ks800D and the roku as well
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Troubleshooting hdr pic quality

"dlleno" wrote:
Hi all is this the right place to discuss HDR pq? I've got the dreaded washed out colors on my TV when streaming h.265 content to the roku ultra.   Yes the TV is uhd although roku claims it detects 4k uhd 30 hz only (the TV is not 60hz 4k).   Just want to know where to start.   Yes 4khd is enabled on the Samsung un65ks800D and the roku as well

I believe proper HDR display requires 4K/60 with a Roku player. If your TV does support 60 Hz but you aren't getting it, try a different HDMI cable, ensuring it is certified for 18 Gbps. If you have an AVR in the mix, all cables must support 18 Gbps, and the AVR must be HDMI 2.0 equipped. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
dlleno
Level 7

Looks like the TV supports uhd 60 hz . In addition :

" HEVC FHD is supported up to Level 4.1, and HEVC UHD is supported up to Level 5.1." What is level 5.1?

I do have a 2018 marantz sr 7013 receiver so that can't be a limitation unless there is some setting . A cable investigation may be forthcoming. How does roku auto detect work? Does it query the TV (in this case via receiver pass through or actually test the bit rate?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

The Level is one of the encoding methods in H.264 (AVC) and H.265 (HEVC) video codecs. 4K video is usually at Level 5.1 with either codec. I have 4K videos using both codecs. What they are stating for support is that a video using the H.265 codec using Level 4.1 will only be 1080, and 4K requires L 5.1. But I believe that's the HEVC standard.

Yes, most video players will query the display (TV) for its supported formats, and adjust its output as necessary and within its abilities. For example, I can play 4K H.265 HDR video with my Ultra connected to a 1080 plasma, and it converts the video to 1080 from 2160, but it isn't capable of removing the HDR so the image is very washed out. Playing the same video with the same player, but connected to an HDR capable display returns the full color image. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dlleno
Level 7

Ok i found the answer and in case it is helpful I'm posting it, even though doing so confirms my receipt of the Darwin award: turned out I've got an hdmi cable rated for 10Gbs....
0 Kudos