Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmincemeyer
Level 7

Trouble Shooting Roku Premiere Issue after Turning TV OFF (2nd replacement)

Need some help if possible.  This is my 4th Roku Device in the home, all others have been working fine.  I added a new Insignia 55" 1080P TV to my office and picked up a Roku Premiere on Friday, the Roku power is coming from the wall and NOT the TV-USB.  Got it hooked up, connected and set up in less than 10 minutes.  I noticed that when I turn the TV off and then turn the TV back on the Roku looses it's connection and goes between normal home screen and white fuzzy and back and forth.  I cannot do anything with it other than unplug power to the Roku and reset.  I took it back to Best Buy thinking it was defective and the replacement does the same exact thing.  None of my other Roku devices have this issue, I can turn the TV off and come back hours later, turn the TV back on and the home screen comes right back normally after the quick wake up.  This is really weird and inconvenient to think I will have to reboot the Roku every time I turn the TV off.  Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Trouble Shooting Roku Premiere Issue after Turning TV OFF (2nd replacement)

I'm thinking this has something to do with the "handshake" that takes place between the tv and HDMI-connected devices.  Every time you start up the tv this exchange of information between devices takes place so both ends can configure themselves to connect correctly.  Is sounds like this handshake is not getting completed properly when the tv first starts up as some sort of timing issue.

Unplugging/replugging the Roku forces a new handshake which completes correctly since the tv is fully started up by then.  You might be able to force a new handshake more easily by switching the tv to another input and back.  Or maybe if you switch to a different tv input before shutting the tv down then switch back to the Roku input after starting the tv up it might avoid the problem.

Another thing to check on the tv is whether when you shut it down it powers completely down, or does it go into standby mode so it starts up more quickly -- one or the other may affect the set's initial HDMI handshake timing.  Many sets will let you sekect which power down mode to use.

Doug
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
skipster
Level 7

I am having this same issue since switching to a new Samsung TV. There is no option in the new TV for the shut off method, and it’s very random whether it will pair with my Roku or not. Is there an option in the Roku that forces it to stay awake thus eliminating the issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@skipster wrote:

Is there an option in the Roku that forces it to stay awake thus eliminating the issue?

Thanks

Sounds like you're powering the Roku by plugging it into a USB port on the tv, which may, depending on the tv, power down when you shut off the tv.

If you instead power the Roku by plugging into a wall socket using the power adapter that came with it (or similar USB power adaptor you may have around with a minimum 1 amp output) the Roku will stay active and will not have to boot up when you turn on the tv.

Doug
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
skipster
Level 7

No, it’s plugged in via an adapter. I have found that my Samsung tv has a soft reboot that I can force with the remote and it clears it right up. From the tv remote press and hold the power and it reboots, I also use a Logitech remote and have programmed “Power Toggle” which also works. 

Thanks

0 Kudos