Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
livetecs
Level 7

The dialog is not as clear as Shield TV

Hello,

I am trying to replace my Shield TV with my Roku Ultra. And facing issues related to audio in both Netflix and Amazon Prime

My Shield TV audio is very clear and loud. Roku audio is low. And we increase volume, audio becomes very bad.  Both are connected via HDMI port in my Onkyo Receiver. Shield TV audio quality is great. Roku sound is also great but dialogs are not as great as Shield TV and sound is low.

I have also tried to set all new volume options
https://support.roku.com/en-ca/article/226802507-how-do-i-use-volume-modes-on-my-roku-streaming-devi...

Any suggestion?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: The dialog is not as clear as Shield TV

I have a Shield, as well as the older version of the Ultra. Both were connected to a Yamaha AVR, and I never encountered any audio issues as you describe. I've dropped Netflix, but use Amazon all the time. I wonder if there's some sort of audio processing enabled on your AVR with the Ultra that wasn't enabled on the Shield, such as one of the hall modes. Those can really mess with the sound sometimes. All of the audio and HDMI settings on my Ultra are set to Auto, and the Yamaha is not using any of the artificial sound modes. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
livetecs
Level 7

Both are working using the default setting

I will also double check on  this
0 Kudos
livetecs
Level 7

Here is the manual of my Onkyo Receiver.  There is no such setting in there
https://cdn.billiger.com/dynimg/t0sgZ4If2xJ4MtkSz1ovs3t4H9rycHjeBa9LTdXG2DAKkGNBGQFwK8G8HWdeVL7jKi_o...
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Actually, yes it does have some special audio modes. Page 62-63 of the PDF you provided mentions a number of different possible listening modes. Any of those might be altering the audio in a way that is causing the differences you are hearing. For example, the Orchestra or Studio-Mix might be altering the center channel, causing changes in the sound of dialog in that channel. If you have your Roku and Shield connected to different HDMI inputs, different settings might be set, so they aren't being processed the same. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos