Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ed_Brown
Reel Rookie

The age old question of Roku Ultra Stereo output.

Jump to solution

I've read a lot on this but nothing that seems to be directly related to my issue.

I have a Roku Ultra an Xbox One X going into  Denon AVR-X3600H which then goes into my samsung un65hu8550 tv through HDMI. 

At the moment I only have 3 speakers in play, (house construction underway), L/C/R.

Sound from my Roku Ultra only shows up as Stereo and use only 2 speakers L/R.

Sound from my XBox One shows up as Multi Channel and L/C/R get utilized.

On the Roku Ultra indicates it's sending Dolby Digital Plus/DTS.

The TV is an older model that doesn't support HDR and might be a little wonky on the HDCP2.2.   But the Xbox never experiences and problems and the TV is common between Roku and Xbox.

I've swap the roku/xbox cable also just to make sure - no difference.

We've just dropped about $2600 on Speakers etc and this is a little frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could try ?   

Link to Photos:

Photos Of Info 

Update:  I've checked and it doesn't matter which streaming service I use.  THey are all stereo.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Ed_Brown
Reel Rookie

Re: The age old question of Roku Ultra Stereo output.

Jump to solution

I have had several firmware updates apply.   Last thing I can try is using same hdmi and same port as the Xbox. If still same issue then has to be something in the communication between roku:denon   I’ll look on avsforum as well thank you.  
yeah I’m excited about the new setup, waiting on addition to be built for all of it (fluance speakers and 5.2.2 setup ) 

View solution in original post

Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Question: Did you check to see if you have any of the "Volume" modes enabled on the Roku? That will force STEREO, regardless of your master settings.

See here, and scroll down to the "Enable Volume Modes During Playback" section:

https://support.roku.com/article/226802507-how-do-i-use-volume-modes-on-my-roku-streaming-device- 

Keep in mind that in order to show the Volume Mode settings (there's two modes and an Off mode), you need to be streaming content first.  Example: Start streaming something on Netflix that you know is a surround sound film/tv show. Most are.  While you are streaming that film/tv show, press the asterisk button on your Roku remote. You should get a sidebar menu on the left side of your screen.

Here's a Roku youtube video (short video) that shows the exact process. You want to make sure "Volume Mode (see video) is set to "Off" between the angle brackets. Otherwise, if it's set to either Leveling or Night, you'll only get stereo.  If you that it's set for "Leveling" or "Night", I would set it to "Off", and then reboot the Roku, just to make sure everything is refreshed.

YouTube Video:

Roku Support Video Showing How To Set/Unset Volume Modes 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Ed_Brown
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Wait, is the answer that Netflix-Roku does not support Multi Channel at all.

I can see hear that it doesn't support ATMOS (which I will be setting up as 5.2.2).

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-stream-dolby-atmos-from-netflix-itunes-vudu-and-amazon/

0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Netflix on Roku is dd+, so yes, multi channel.

Looked at info for your Denon, nice component. I assume that you've checked for new firmware for it? Other than that, it looks like the Roku is set to provide the surround, but there are many settings in your avr that may effect this. For setting up my Oppo and Yamaha I found lots of great advice on the Avsforum, so worth a read and maybe registering for a log in to post question. Good luck.

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
Ed_Brown
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have had several firmware updates apply.   Last thing I can try is using same hdmi and same port as the Xbox. If still same issue then has to be something in the communication between roku:denon   I’ll look on avsforum as well thank you.  
yeah I’m excited about the new setup, waiting on addition to be built for all of it (fluance speakers and 5.2.2 setup ) 

Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Question: Did you check to see if you have any of the "Volume" modes enabled on the Roku? That will force STEREO, regardless of your master settings.

https://support.roku.com/article/226802507-how-do-i-use-volume-modes-on-my-roku-streaming-device- 

Keep in mind that in order to show the Volume Mode settings (there's two modes and an Off mode), you need to be streaming content first.  Example: Start streaming something on Netflix that you know is a surround sound film/tv show. Most are.  While you are streaming that film/tv show, press the asterisk button on your Roku remote. You should get a sidebar menu on the left side of your screen.

Here's a Roku youtube video (short video) that shows the exact process. You want to make sure "Volume Mode (see video) is set to "Off" between the angle brackets. Otherwise, if it's set to either Leveling or Night, you'll only get stereo.  If you that it's set for "Leveling" or "Night", I would set it to "Off", and then reboot the Roku, just to make sure everything is refreshed.

YouTube Video:

blade_005
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Ed_Brown wrote:

Wait, is the answer that Netflix-Roku does not support Multi Channel at all.

I can see hear that it doesn't support ATMOS (which I will be setting up as 5.2.2).

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-stream-dolby-atmos-from-netflix-itunes-vudu-and-amazon/

Netflix-Roku supports 5.1 audio, just not ATMOS. I can only assume that Netflix does not deem Roku devices or Roku TV's worthy of their ATMOS consideration. They are happy to accept our premium tier monthly subscription, but won't provide premium audio along with premium video.

We can only hope that increased competition from Prime Video, VUDU and Disney+, which either support ATMOS on our Roku devices (Prime, VUDU) or have stated they are committed to making it happen (Disney+) will make Netflix re-consider their elitist attitude toward device support. 

BenQ HT2060 4LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K MAX
0 Kudos
Ed_Brown
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the help.   
I had to stream roku channel to get the option to come up and I had night mode on. Turning it off volume mode fixed the issue 

0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Great. Enjoy.

0 Kudos
MajorRexHavoc
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you. This has been driving me crazy for several weeks. Leveling off, all channels l

@Heyitsrick wrote:

YouTube Video:

it up. 

0 Kudos