Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josguth
Reel Rookie

TV starts, on Roku channel, spontaneously

I have 3 Roku's, 2 of which are ultras and 1 a 4K stick.  On the TV connected with an Ultra, it'll power up without a prompt and the screen will be a 4K HDR setting, which is not a native option for that TV so it shows a clipped version of the 4K HDR screen.   I suspected that one of the remotes on my other 2 Roku's (other floors of the house) were causing this TV to start but the time sequence doesn't fit anyone using them, and only 1 of those TVs is set at (and can handle) 4K HDR (the other 2 are 1080p). 

Any clue???  (and it's a disappointment that Roku doesn't offer live support....such will be reflected in my rating on Amazon).

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TV starts, on Roku channel, spontaneously

@josguth 

On the Roku with the issue, go to Settings > Display type

What's the setting?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
josguth
Reel Rookie

1080p - the involved TV (3rd floor) is capable of 4K but not the HDR Dolby Vision of the 1st floor set.  The Roku remotes are set accordingly.    I had downgraded the 3rd floor set to 1080p from basic 4K just to make sure the remotes were clearly set for different screen resolutions.    Why the 3rd floor set powers up spontaneously is unclear (something is doing it but I'll say "spontaneous" until I figure out the cause), as is why that set is in a vignetted format......   When I power up that set with the 1080p remote, it looks fine, not like what happens with the "spontaneous" starts.   

In a nutshell, what's turning on the 3rd floor set in a Roku channel?

0 Kudos
dathead2
Roku Guru

I had spontaneous tv startup issues too until about last week.  Had been happening for six months. Had heard was probably a CEC Sony tv issue but I dunno, it didn’t happen first 3.5 years with same setup

Also powering on via Roku remote would cause tv to crash!  That also cleared up in last two weeks. This is on 2018 Ultra. how new is 10.5.0 b4208?

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
dathead2
Roku Guru

Just noticed I used to have build 4210 now have 4208

another issue I was having cleared up to. If I left Roku on a channel and left it for a while it always went back to Home Screen on its own. This too seems to have stopped. Was a drag because I liked to leave media player on pause in middle of a concert.  

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@josguth wrote:

... The Roku remotes are set accordingly.    I had downgraded the 3rd floor set to 1080p from basic 4K just to make sure the remotes were clearly set for different screen resolutions. ...  When I power up that set with the 1080p remote, it looks fine, not like what happens with the "spontaneous" starts.   

This is a little confusing. The remotes are just remotes. They don't have a resolution setting. There is no such thing as a 1080p remote. The devices can be set to certain resolutions, but not the remotes. The remote has nothing to do with that.

Your wording seems to indicate you are using multiple remotes on TVs. Is that correct? If so, how many are Voice Remote devices and how many are Simple Remotes? Simple Remotes are IR only, and don't have Power or Volume buttons. Tell us about your remotes.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos