Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

TV going on and off at start up

I have a Roku Ultra with enhanced remote.....worked good for about a month now when we turn it on the tv comes on and goes off quickly several times(usually around 10 times) before it stays on. We have unplugged the Roku and plugged it back in, this works most of the time. We have also managed a few times to hit the home button before the tv goes off which will in turn keep it on(have to be very quick with this). At first I thought it was a pairing issues so went thru the steps again, also checked the internet connections and such. If we turn it off and wait longer then 2hrs to turn it back on we go thru the same thing again.

Once it is up and running it works fine. Changes channels and  volume ok. we do not have cable, use wireless connections and a samsung tv

I am unsure if this is a remote issue or the roku itself.

Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: TV going on and off at start up

@dbstew10 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing?

Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable used to connect your Roku device as well as using another HDMI port on your TV to see if that resolves the issue you are seeing?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 7

Basically when we turn the system on the tv would come on and then go back off quickly, normally around 10 times...we also noticed that the light on the Roku would not be on until the tv stayed on.

Yesterday I talked to support and at that time we did switch hdmi ports on the tv(my tv only has 2 ports).

the rest of yesterday it worked fine then this morning when we turned it all on the tv again came on and then back off the time between on and off is longer then previously and the home screen stays on just a tab longer....managed to get into hulu once and then tv went off and came back on at which time it stayed on. Also noticed the light on the Roku box was on the whole time.

was thinking it may be the hdmi cable but will have to purchase another before I can test that out.

I will update this after I do that

0 Kudos
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R 

ok went out got a new hdmi cable and hooked it up....again this morning when we turned the system on it is still doing what it was, tv blinks on and off quickly 10 times then finally stops...you can see the home screen when it blinks.

At this point I don't know what else to do any other ideas that might help

Also just for info the Roku was bought in September but was activated in October....its a Roku Ultra with enhanced remote...4670RW.....it worked good till about 3 wks ago and started this

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@dbstew10 

Thanks for the update.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R 

model 4670RW-Roku Ultra

serial # YJOOCJ824426

device id KXA07C824426

software OS/build  9.4.0  build 4190-46

ok again this only happens when we turn the system on...no channels involved

in other words we turn everything off and go to bed when we get up and turn it on for the first time of the day thats when it does this...also if we turn it all off and leave(say going to the store)when we get back and turn it back on then again it does this

once its completely up and running everything is fine

0 Kudos