Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Re: TV flickering from Roku home screen to static and back

Jump to solution

Your welcome! Maybe you"ll get it figured out soon! You could try contacting Roku Support by phone [content removed]

Or, contact Roku here: https://twitter.com/rokusupport?lang=en    @RokuSupport on Twitter

Maybe RokuTannerD or RokuDanny-R can eventually help you with this. 

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution
@Helenbk66

Sorry to hear about the hiccups you're running into! I know you mentioned you aren't as tech savvy as your husband, but I would recommend trying what @Tonya G stated and connect your Roku device directly to the TV, and make sure the TV is connected to your receiver for audio out. This may help clear up the video flickering issue you are seeing, and get things back on track. 

If you can't make those changes at the moment, I'd also recommend trying to select different display output settings in the Settings menu, under 'Display'. Try choosing 720p, 1080p, etc. and see if the issue clears up from there. 

Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address, your current display settings selected when you are seeing this issue, and the specific make/model of TV and A/V receiver that you own. I'll follow up directly to continue helping you from there! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Helenbk66
Visitor

Jump to solution
Husband came home. I think he replaced the Roku box. It’s working fine.
0 Kudos
CBreffitt

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra and I just returned a Roku Premier for doing the same thing. I have used two different Roku devices with two different sets of HDMI cables that worked fine on other TVs. I think it has something to do with the resolution setting on the device and the TV. I have a Sharp Aquos and I run on the 1080p setting instead of having the device auto detect. The Premier was on the default setting of auto detecting the resolution of the TV. It worked fine for a few months and then started failing regularly. The only fix was to unplug the device and reset it. The Ultra was running fine until just now when it did the exact same thing I turned in the Premier for. I now think it may either be a design flaw or an incompatibility issue with the TV. I would love some help with this. 

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the note here. Sorry to hear about the issue you're running into. Visit Settings>System>System update>Check now and make sure your device is updated to the latest release (9.2 build 4806). 

If you're still not seeing the issue resolved, you might also try replacing the HDMI cable you're using, try a different HDMI port on the TV, or swap the ends of the cable to see if this helps. 

Please keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Brown1

Jump to solution

On Version 9.2 build 4806. I’ve tried replacing the hdmi chord and I’ve tried a new roku device. I still get the static and cutout, the audio cuts out too. My 46” LCD Tv JVC Model #LT-46AM73. All my devices work fine on my other screens/TVs.

Lawsrd

Jump to solution

I am having this same issue as well.  Had a Roku 4.  Moved it upstairs and replaced unit in my basement with a ultra.  It has started up with the blinking 1 out of 3 times I turn the TV on. It is clearly a design issues.  We need a fix.  

0 Kudos
mbalasko

Jump to solution

Bit late to the convo here but I was able to fix mine by swapping out HDMI cables. 

Setup -

Integra R1.1 Preamp

75" Samsung NU7100 Smart 4K UHD TV

PS4, Apple TV, Roku. 

My PS4, and Apple TV had zero issues with flickering and but my Roku Ultra would freak out making it unusable. 

I ended up using Amazon Basics 4K High speed cables and replaced from the Preamp to the TV and the ROKU to Preamp with new cables and it is working as expected. If I cared enough I'd isolate it it to which cable I had that was bad but as of now it's fixed and I'll place the why into the minor mystery pile. 

Kani
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot, I just changed from auto detect to 4K 60hz after checking my smart tv spec(LG 4K UHD), voila it got fixed. I have not used Roku because of this issue for almost 6months, I wish I had checked before.

0 Kudos
Phil2

Jump to solution

I purchased an additional Roku to use on my new TV. As usual, I connect the HDMI cable provided, I power up the Roku and then power up the TV. I get static that flickers between the Roku menu and then back to static. However, if I power up the TV first, then power up the Roku everything works fine until I turn off the TV. When I restart the TV it's back to static.