Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helenbk66
Visitor

TV flickering from Roku home screen to static and back

Jump to solution
I am not tech savvy and the husband is out of town so I cannot provide most of the info requested but I’m desperate. Roku is my only access to streaming and we don’t have cable.

Tuesday night it was fine. Wednesday night every time I turn on the tv and hit the home button on my remote it flickers (every second) from home screen to white snowy static.

I have turned it off and on. It just does the same thing. I have unhooked it from the receiver and I tried switching it from HDMI 1 to 2 (read that worked for someone with a similar problem)

Roku is model 4400x
Serial 4U75A8320813

Thanks
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
mbalasko

Re: TV flickering from Roku home screen to static and back

Jump to solution

Bit late to the convo here but I was able to fix mine by swapping out HDMI cables. 

Setup -

Integra R1.1 Preamp

75" Samsung NU7100 Smart 4K UHD TV

PS4, Apple TV, Roku. 

My PS4, and Apple TV had zero issues with flickering and but my Roku Ultra would freak out making it unusable. 

I ended up using Amazon Basics 4K High speed cables and replaced from the Preamp to the TV and the ROKU to Preamp with new cables and it is working as expected. If I cared enough I'd isolate it it to which cable I had that was bad but as of now it's fixed and I'll place the why into the minor mystery pile. 

View solution in original post

Kani
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot, I just changed from auto detect to 4K 60hz after checking my smart tv spec(LG 4K UHD), voila it got fixed. I have not used Roku because of this issue for almost 6months, I wish I had checked before.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
Do you have your Roku directly connected to your TV with the HDMI cable now?
0 Kudos
Helenbk66
Visitor

Jump to solution
No the tv and the Roku are both connected to the receiver.
0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
Try connecting the Roku directly to your TV with the HDMI cable and see if you still experience the issue. This will rule out whether the receiver is a problem or not.
0 Kudos
Helenbk66
Visitor

Jump to solution
LOL you are assuming I know which cable is hdmi and that I have the foggiest idea how to hook or unhook it!! 🙂 I’ll see if my brain is up to the challenge
Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
You could also try unplugging the power cable from your Roku, Power off or unplug power from your receiver, then Power off your TV. Then, Power on your TV, then wait 30 seconds, Power on your receiver, then wait 30 seconds, then, plug the Power cable back into your Roku and allow it to power up and restart - Make sure everything is connected like it originally was before you do this though. This could refresh everything to where it is all working normally again.
0 Kudos
Helenbk66
Visitor

Jump to solution
I did all that. It flickered right through the Roku start up and continued on doing it. <<sigh>>

I appreciate your help
0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
So, you also tried connecting your Roku directly to your TV with the HDMI cable? - When you do this, make sure you unplug the power cable from you Roku, then power off your TV before you connect the HDMI cable from the Roku directly to your TV. Then power on your TV and then plug the power cable back into your Roku and let it power back up to the Home Screen.
0 Kudos
Helenbk66
Visitor

Jump to solution
I’m giving up for now. Thanks for your efforts!
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Mine does this too occasionally, someone on another thread with the same problem said that changing hdmi cables fixed it for them so you might give that a try and unplug/plug back in as Tonya G suggested after you connect the new cable. I haven't gotten around to trying a new cable with mine yet.
0 Kudos