Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rich2718
Level 8

TV emits tone with new Roku Express

Just bought a Roku Express (RE 3930X) to replace a Roku 2 device. Installed and updated the RE without any problems. It is hooked to a Westinghouse TV model, WDEUS46LTN. When media is not streaming the TV emits a tone. When media streams the tone stops. Is the RE compatible with this model Westinghouse TV? The ROKU 2 does not cause this behavior. 

I have tried all of the following:

1. Switched HDMI cord. TV emits tone.
  2. Switch HDMIed port. TV emits tone.
  3. Connected power cable to USB port. TV emits tone.
  4. Connected RE to a Samsung TV via a Marantz tuner. No tone.
  5. Connected RE to a different Samsung TV through the HDMI port. No tone. 
  6. Switched usb power cord and plugged into power supply. TV emits tone.
  7. Based on an answer to another posting, switched usb power cord and plugged into TV usb port. TV emitted very loud high-pitch tone and screen started to flicker with static.
  8. Used original power cord and power supply. TV emits original tone and volume. Screen flickers and has static even when playing media. 

It is possible that the screen would have flickered with static from the beginning but I didn't leave the TV on long enough to see it.

If the RE is compatible with the Westinghouse TV, I would like a replacement. If it is not compatible, I would like a refund. The RE is at least the fourth Roku device I have bought over the years. Have never had any problems like these.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: TV emits tone with new Roku Express

Try changing Settings/Audio/HDMI=PCM Stereo

and Settings/Display type=1080p TV  (Manually configure it)

0 Kudos
rich2718
Level 8

Unfortunately, that didn't work. The tone is still constant on the Home screen, but goes away when streaming. The screen flicker and static are intermittent depending on starting the TV. 

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

1)  Change Settings/Audio/HDMI=Dolby Digital - try again

2) Unplug TV and Roku from AC power for 10-15 minutes - try again

3) Factory Reset both the Roku and TV - try again

4) Swap that Express (3930) for a much more capable and better Express 4K+ ($30) - try again

0 Kudos
rich2718
Level 8

@StreamerUser Tried steps 1) -3). No improvement. Put in a Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  and the tone went away and picture was stable. To me, this points to a faulty device, because the Roku LT (2700 series)  still works fine, albeit slow.

The only reason I am replacing it, is because after November 1st, Amazon Prime will no longer support the Roku LT (2700 series).

The TV is HD and only used occasionally. It doesn't need a 4K capable device.   

Thank you for your suggestions. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

I really have to recommend that you return that Express (3930) and get the $30 Express 4K+ (3941) - its a vastly superior product for only a few $ more (maybe).

0 Kudos
beelz
Level 7

I apparently have the same problem. I updated to a Roku Express (same model) to maintain compatibility with Prime Video and get a tone through the TV audio when the TV is on and I'm not actively streaming. The TV is a Sony Bravia.

0 Kudos