Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Glave
Level 7

TV Has become horrible slow and glitchy

Ive been using my RCA 40" Roku tv for a few years and at this point in time im seriously considering ridding myself of this burden and buying a non smart TV and creating a HTPC instead.

At first the tv was fast and responsive but now it has become horribly slow and glitchy

i only have  5 channels! Amazon Prime, Netflix, Youtube, Plex and disney Plus

And all channels take forever to load and sometimes crash? sending me back to the home screen and i have to retry several times for them to load. I cant even watch youtube anymore, videos will play for awhile and then an ad will play after its over the video will desync, buffer and then freeze my TV?! Factory reset and restarting the device doesn't make a difference. im beginning to think all of this is planned to force me into spending money on another device, Which will happen but definitely not on any "smart" TV.

Im just making this post to triple check and hope maybe there is a solution to these issues before i have to throw out a working smart TV that has become a regular TV with the option to intentionally crash the device...

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TV Has become horrible slow and glitchy

If you've made sure that everything is up to date by checking for updates from Settings->System->System update, I doubt there's any real solution.  You probably have the top 4 memory hogs that exist on the Roku platform (I don't believe Plex is in the same league).  Try removing Youtube, restarting your TV from Settings->Power->System restart (don't skip this step) and then install it again.  You don't have to trash the TV.  Just get another streaming device (Roku if you like; some other brand if you don't) and connect it to your TV and just leave the TV on the appropriate HDMI input.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
demsd
Level 13

Re: TV Has become horrible slow and glitchy

@Glave wrote:

Ive been using my RCA 40" Roku tv for a few years and at this point in time im seriously considering ridding myself of this burden and buying a non smart TV and creating a HTPC instead.

Build an HTPC, but don't ditch the TV. Plex might work fine on it. Otherwise, do what renojim suggested and buy a Roku device for it.

Have you contacted RCA to see if they have any suggestions?

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos