Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gadrago
Level 7

Re: TCL optical audio issue

@ajtracy  It would be helpful to know the make/model of your receiver.
0 Kudos
ajtracey
Level 7

Its  Denon receiver from 2006, not sure the exact model at the moment, the house was wired with audio with built in speakers when it was built.  The receiver is in the basement, the tv/speakers are in the family room
0 Kudos
gadrago
Level 7

@ajtracey It may be that an online manual does not exist for a Denon receiver from 2006 for consultation, even if you supply the necessary receiver model number.  Another kink may be distance limitations since you now reveal that the television and receiver are on different floors.  What is your cable connection between floors- optical or coaxial digital, and at what distance?  Two scenarios depending upon answer:
1) Short optical cable from TV to converter with converter at TV end- long coaxial digital cable between floors to receiver.
2) Long optical cable from TV between floors to converter at receiver end- short coaxial digital cable from converter to receiver.
The second scenario is more subject to distance limitations, if over the recommended 10 meter maximum distance specification for optical digital cables without a repeater or signal booster.
0 Kudos
ajtracey
Level 7

It is a short optical cord to the converter with a longer coaxial cord to the receiver.  The analog output via the 3.5mm headphone jack has no issues.
0 Kudos
gadrago
Level 7

@ajtracey  Not much further you can take this in problem determination with your between-floors setup.  You would need a way to show that:
1) TCL TV is outputting a valid optical signal.
2) Converter(s) are successfully converting optical signal to coaxial signal.
3) Coaxial cable between floors is transmitting a valid signal.
4) Coaxial digital input on receiver is working.
You would need to have TV and receiver co-located to verify 1) 2) and 4) by taking one or the other to the opposite location.

You have cycled through all of the settings on your TV under Settings, Audio, S/PDIF and ARC to see if you get sound on any one or more of them?
0 Kudos
ritpg77
Level 7

I just got a TCL Series 6 TV yrsterday. I'm very happy with it. I also had a problem getting my Panasonic sound system to work while connected via optical cable. To fix it, I went into System, Control other devices (CEC) , and then I turned on ARC (HDMI 3), System audio control and System standby. I now get sound through my Panasonic sound system. I hope this helps everybody.
0 Kudos
ritpg77
Level 7

By the way, I'm also controlling the volume on the Panasonic using the Roku controller. The Panasonic is an old unit. It can play CDs and DVDs. I have it connected to the TCL TV using an HDMI cable connected to HDMI 1 on the TV and using the optical cable cited above.
0 Kudos
thann
Level 7

"donjit" wrote:
I have the TCL R617 and I have the Vizio SB3621n-E8 36" 2.1 Channel Soundbar System.  This soundbar has no HDMI so I'm using the optical connection. Bought an HDMI ARC Audio adapter.  Here's my connection:

Soundbar to HDMI ARC Audio adapter via optical cable --> HDMI ARC Audio adapter via HDMI-ARC on TV.  I am able to get the sound to come through on the soundbar but the ROKU TV remote can't control the volume of the soundbar.  The HDMI setting is set to 2.0 and CEC is picking up the Soundbar.

Also, when turning on the volume using the TV remote, it would only go to 21 (this has no effect on soundbar volume since as previously stated, the tv remote can't seem to control the volume up/down or turn it on).

Any idea why the ARC is not turning the sound bar on when I turn the TV and why I can't adjust the soundbar volume via the TV remote?

Thanks for any insight on this.

Having this same issue. Can't return the soundbar anymore so curious to know how to fix this as well.
0 Kudos
Sgrass
Level 7

TCL optical audio issue

Am setting up TCL Series 4.
Issue with optical audio.
Using basic optical cable (that was just working with Apple TV) and going in to a Schiit Modi 3 DAC.

Nuttin. Zip. Nada.

Ideas?
0 Kudos