Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haradad
Level 7

TCL Roku full-screen issues

On July 18, my TCL Roku TV has developed an issue where anytime full-screen video is displayed, there are shaded horizontal bands on the picture. This only happens in a full screen, GUI pages like the Home screen, the video selection pages for Youtube, Roku Channel, Netflix, etc. are not affected, nor are the logo splash screens when loading a channel from the Home screen. Streaming channels as well as HDMI (Xbox One, Apple TV), USB (flash drive with videos) and coaxial input (over-the-air digital tv channels) are affected.

I have already contacted TCL, who suggested a power reset, then a factory reset. Neither of those options worked. The case has supposedly been forwarded to both Roku support and to TCL's engineers, but it's been nearly a month without a resolution.

Anyone else have this problem and, if so, has it been resolved for you? Screenshots below. Thanks in advance.

Roku TV 7107X
TCL model 55P605 (although the System Info page says 65P605)
Serial number YSOOFW749850
Device ID 9VFOOF749850
Software version 8.1.0 build 4139-30

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mldavis2
Level 7

Re: TCL Roku full-screen issues

What is your wifi speed?  It looks as if the TV is not getting a full signal and rather than buffering, it's trying to compensate for loss of signal information.  Try changing some of the settings on the TV for picture size.  Also, try another HDMI input.
0 Kudos
haradad
Level 7

"mldavis2" wrote:
What is your wifi speed?  It looks as if the TV is not getting a full signal and rather than buffering, it's trying to compensate for loss of signal information.  Try changing some of the settings on the TV for picture size.  Also, try another HDMI input.

Thanks for the suggestions. The internet connection to the TV is Cat6 to the router, so I can get about 70 Mbps if there isn't something else going on. The setting for Picture Size is on Auto. Interestingly, changing it doesn't change the distortion size; so "Zoom" will make the source video zoom in, but the horizontal bands are the same size and placement. Two different devices are on the HDMI 1 and 2 inputs, and both have been tested on other TVs to be functional.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I'm being told by CS that this looks like a hardware issue, and I have to agree based on the images.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
haradad
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
I'm being told by CS that this looks like a hardware issue, and I have to agree based on the images.

Thanks for the reply. Might I trouble you and/or CS to take a look at a video of the issue? This was taken a few days later, and the distortion pattern on the lower third is slightly different. It illustrates when the issue happens and doesn't happen, I think. I would like to confirm it with Roku that it is definitively an issue TCL needs to address.

[youtube:13gjsasi]cYsi77UC1VA[/youtube:13gjsasi]
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"haradad" wrote:
"RokuShawnS" wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Might I trouble you and/or CS to take a look at a video of the issue? This was taken a few days later, and the distortion pattern on the lower third is slightly different. It illustrates when the issue happens and doesn't happen, I think. I would like to confirm it with Roku that it is definitively an issue TCL needs to address.

[youtube:1nviwglm]cYsi77UC1VA[/youtube:1nviwglm]

I might be wrong as I don't have a TCL TV yet, but as someone who has to gp back and forth between Roku and Apple TV (Roku please add the Facebook video app), I would check your plugs going into the TV as well as picture settings on both the TV and the Apple TV and make sure the picture settings on both the TV/Roku and Apple TV are equal. If they are different it can result in some distortion of picture quality, but I can sort of see what you're talking about although the video is a little gleary. Hope the suggestion helps. Best of luck to you.
0 Kudos
haradad
Level 7

Thanks to everyone who viewed this thread. After another email to their customer service and a link to this forum, TCL is going to replace the TV.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"haradad" wrote:
Thanks to everyone who viewed this thread. After another email to their customer service and a link to this forum, TCL is going to replace the TV.

I'm just curious as I am in strong consideration of going with TCL when the time comes for me to start upgrading my televisions. From what I've read and heard, I've heard nothing, but good things about the brand, but how is their customer service?

I'm disabled so I am toying with the idea when the time comes of either ordering from a store online or direct from the manufacturer so that's why I'm curious. To be honest, I'm shocked that more TV manufacturers aren't adding Roku's platform to their TV's. Though I'm not as familiar with smart TV's as I am streaming boxes, it seems like every TV outside of the ones that use the Roku platform seem like they lag.
0 Kudos
haradad
Level 7

"bvd1022" wrote:
"haradad" wrote:

I'm just curious as I am in strong consideration of going with TCL when the time comes for me to start upgrading my televisions. From what I've read and heard, I've heard nothing, but good things about the brand, but how is their customer service?

I'm disabled so I am toying with the idea when the time comes of either ordering from a store online or direct from the manufacturer so that's why I'm curious. To be honest, I'm shocked that more TV manufacturers aren't adding Roku's platform to their TV's. Though I'm not as familiar with smart TV's as I am streaming boxes, it seems like every TV outside of the ones that use the Roku platform seem like they lag.

My experience was good. They responded within a day or two to emails to support. The email instructions, requests for information and general responses were clear and professional. My main concern would be the length of time it took to resolve the issue. It's not any fault of their customer service; once they forward problems to the tech staff, I'd guess they have no choice but to wait until they hear a response. I'm very glad that it's going to be resolved with a -delivered- replacement.
0 Kudos