Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tstamp82
Level 7

Re: TCL Roku TV crashing

I edited original post and accidentally posted twice. Intended post is below...
0 Kudos
Tstamp82
Level 7

I have this same problem. It happens using a cable box, PlayStation, and even a VCR.
It works with wifi for a short time and then will stop recognizing any wifi at all. Shortly after this the TV begins the shutting off and restarting, at first not that often and over time more frequently.
I read on another forum someone had pull the back off the tv and unplugged the connections to the little motherboard looking thing and wait 5-10min and plugging back in. This worked... for a while... now it's back doing the same thing. Same progression.
Believe me, I tried all of the easier suggestions and this was the only one that worked. I wish it worked more permanently. But it took a few months before the "crash" happened again.
Updates don't work, nothing. I think the TVs are defective and should have been recalled.
0 Kudos
JenBran
Level 7

Any progress? I've always had random freezing issues with my 55 in TCL Roku TV, but now it's gotten worse.  Randomly it just restarts and goes back to the homepage.  At this point it does it at least once an hour which is beyond annoying.
0 Kudos
KenSoren
Level 7

This is good to know since I am - probably was - considering buying a TCL 43 inch Roku TV. We recently took a vacation and our condo had a Roku TCL TV in it. We did not have any problems while we were there and watched cable TV plus Netflix. 
So I guess I will wait until I don't see any restarting problems being posted before reconsidering buying a TCL set. 
Ken S
Roku Ultra, Roku 3, Roku 2 and Roku 1
Samsung 65 inch SUHD KS8000 using Samsung smart hub for all connections.
0 Kudos
csexton1
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
"Mendler23" wrote:
Can't really use the tv in any capacity and it seems very common....  where did the support rep go in this thread?

RokuShawnS is not a support rep per se - more of a good samaritan, so thread lightly. Your official product support for a TCL TV should be coming from TCL, from what i can tell - so contact them too/first. 

Correct-a-mundo!  (though I pull triple duties these days Smiley Very Happy )
While I can't say much as to the status of the Hulu issue, we're aware of it and are actively investigating.  We do hope it's going to be resolved in the next firmware release.  As for the other crashes, we're investigating those as well.  I don't have an ETA on a fix (that's almost always going to be in flux, due to the nature of the issue(s) and firmware builds).

I can also say that I don't see these issues on any of my test units, nor my home "production" units, so some of the issues are harder to pin down.  In cases like these, there may be a number of factors involved, including your local internet and DNS.  I know that's not a satisfactory answer for some of you, but it is what it is.  I spend most of my nights on production firmware trying to reproduce the issues you're reporting, mostly to no avail (all channels are working flawlessly for me, on every unit I have).

I'm monitoring this thread, and comparing it with our beta team tests as well.  I just don't have any answers for you as of yet.
C. Shawn Smith

Same issue here. 55 inch tcl roku purchased in February 2017
0 Kudos
Archambault1
Level 7

I have the same TV and just bought it a couple months ago in 2017. Mine is doing the same thing! While watching Netflix, it randomly switches to home. No sound no warning. Is it possible that I have to install an update even if it's like brand new?
0 Kudos
SusanJ
Level 7

I have the 40 in TCL Roku tv. I have had it since November and and this has happened twice in the last month or so. I have been watching, Once on Netflix and once on Amazon, when the whole system freezes. I cannot turn it off, change channels, go back to the home screen, anything, I have to unplug it to get it to stop. What is most disconcerting is the noise it makes when it happens. It sounds like an off balance fan, loud, repetitive. It does freeze at other times, but usually I can at least get back to the main screen, and often it it tied into to a bad internet feed. It is the noise and having to unplug the tv that has me bothered.
0 Kudos
JMoreau80
Level 7

I have the Sharp Roku TV 5318x, with the latest firmware/updates. A few weeks ago, mine started closing out of Netflix and going back to the Home screen. Now it does it at least once an episode. Very frustrating. I don't use other streaming apps. It doesn't do it when watching something on the cable box. It's been almost a year since this thread started, and it seems to only be getting worse. 
0 Kudos
operezm
Level 7

I have a brand new Hitachi Roku TV 6403X (software version: 7.7.0, build: 4108) and this TV locks up and reboots automatically at least once a day.  It doesn't really matter if I'm watching live TV or, using one of the Apps like Netflix, HBO Go, etc.
0 Kudos
aehamilton54
Level 7

I have the TLC Roku Smart TV  just quitting channels when streaming. I'll be watching Netflix or Hulu and it just quits and goes back to the home screen. Seems to be a common problem on this thread dating back over a year. Anyone? 
0 Kudos